Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Virtual Reality | Origin: EL118

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Using Various “Realities” in Online Courses --> Virtual Reality

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Using VR in the classroom (or online distance learning) can be a very helpful instrument for most visual learning students. My course is a visual medium, so I would like to apply using VR capabilities. Virtual field trips is the first one I can see myself utilizing first. It is something that I can pursue right now and set up or even create a virtual field trip with industry partners that are willing to help. 

When using VR in an educational setting, it is important to make the learner the protagonist, expand their worldview, and make the impossible possible. Several applications exist to use this technology, including Star Chart, public speaking, Quiver and anatomy. The author claims that it is already being widely used in education. However, Star Chart only delivers information based on a received image: Point your phone at a star and receive information about it. I don't understand how this qualifies as VR, as it is not immersing anyone in anything and is similar to a Google Image Search, which is free. Headsets provided by Facebook or Google are not that expensive, but other types of headsets can be thousands of dollars each.

The inclusion of student devices is a key step to adapting instruction in the future of education.

VR can be used in many ways, and I think the public speaking idea is especially interesting.

The stagnant delivery of education content is no longer appreciated or applicable. The variety of options available, for example Anatomy in 4D can create an enhanced learning environment, stimulate meaningful classroom discussions and brings images from a flat page into the dimensional world.  Just thinking of how the heart and it'scomplex pathway from deoxygenated blood to oxygenated blood is so confusing for students.  It would be so much easier for students to understand in a 4D image. This technology adds excitement to the learning objectives.

The thing that interests me the most are the applications to our specific programs and how VR can help us with the new normal given the COVID situation.  We have a hard time getting students together for clinicals and simulations in our nursing program.  IT students are not getting the hands on experience that is typical of our program, and the AV students need to physically work on planes to gain the needed knowledge.  While VR cannot replicate a real life situation, it can certainly fill some holes in the practical application of theory and concepts learned in the classroom without creating the potential for transmission of the virus.

VR is something that is here to stay. Students can experience new things each and every time they interact with something virutal. This also allows students to be involovded in learning and not just a spectator. 

Students are able to experience virtually in the place of face to face in the state we are in now. 

The public speaking VR was something that really got my interest. This is something I want to utilize in the future to align with the Employability Skills standard for my class. Currently, I use VR for virtual fieldtrips, which the students still appreciate (eventhough it's not the real thing).

The process of VR helps the student to become more engaged in their learning experience The great thing is that it will not become stagnent becaue it is always reaching out to new ideas to expand the learning process

I think this is a good idea to get suden involved in what they are learning.

Great information. I teach health care courses so it would be very useful to for students to see how the various departments and systems interface with each other. For example, a VR experience that includes the various types of departments that exist along with the types of systems used would be helpful using this method.

VR sounds interesting bt impractically expensive tbh

not sure yet

VR is a great engagement technique! I would love to learn more about it

VR is a wonderful tool to use in online learning. It provides a safe environment to practice skills before you have to perform them in the real world.

Virtual reality has the potential to impact each student by increasing the level of interest and engagement in a course or activity. I can envision VR being used in nursing education to teach skills, improve clinical judgment, and develop interdisciplinarily scenarios that will involve multiple providers. 

What I learned is that you can not assume that all the videos you post will always be available like in this module.  While virtual reality can impact the students study ability for learning, it can also cause distractions to want to do real gaming which is way more fun.

Sign In to comment