Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Authentic Assessment | Origin: EL107

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Designing Dynamic and Technology-Rich Learning Environments --> Authentic Assessment

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

In this course I have learned about the advantages of using holistic assessments. I also learned about the value of different test, and how it affects different students.

In New Knowledge Assessments: As technology continues to change and affect how students think and process information, instructors must realize that there is an opportunity to now capture and assess in ways not formerly possible. Research continues to reinforce the importance of learning as a process, student engagement, and learning outcomes. Technology does not change those realities but it can provide new ways to evaluate learning through clear demonstration and new ways to challenge students in the process.

I have learned that testing should be student-centered and learning outcomes-oriented.   Testing methods in the classroom does not support criticial thinking in students.  During test reviews, by adding conversation about differenent outcomes and enhance student's critical thinking and make testing more beneficial to student learning.

Student learning outcomes drive the assessment learning. New knowledge assessments continue to change the way students learn, process, access, and apply what they have learned. Student learning must have taken place if the outcomes include new knowledge,  information, and content. New Knowledge Assessments not only affect the learning process but also the student learning outcomes.

Very good information, makes you think how to build real word assesments.

Learning outcomes should be the drive behind the lesson plans.  There should not be a strong focus on lesson planning to pass a standardized test.

We must go beyond assessing objectives to allowing students to demonstrate that they have acheived the learing outcomes. while standard forms of assessment, such as Cloze and multiple choice can accurately measure results in terms of recall of concepts and facts, they cannot measure outcome aspects such as critical thinking, organization, and communication. To do this, new forms of assessment are needed so that as students customize their learnning, adding content from resources, other students and outsiders, it can be effectively captured and demonstrated.

Authentic assessments provides a pure form of assessment so the student can clearly show their strengths. 

I have learned the difference and importance of various forms of assessment. 

The comparitive diagrams on Aspect A and Aspect B Assessing of Learning were new to me.  When i am conducting assessments, I can compare my methods to both aspects to determine which they align to. 

So many times instructors fall victim to publisher test banks as a means of getting things done faster. These assessmensts are usually curriculum driven which is not the most effective way for us to assess our students. I intend to apply what I have learned from this portion of the training to develop better assessment tools that will prepare my students to perform in the real world.

Authentic assessments has to do with the fact that most of out traditional testing only checks for memorization or knowledge on a specific question.  If we want to gain a true assessment of the students critical thnking process we need to understand their understanding of the process to get the end topic.  

great information; I am redesigning exams based on the information shared in this course

assessment should holistic and take into account student outcomes based on their prioir knowledge and critical thinking.  Giving standardized tests, while they be required, does not show how well students can apply their learning as the answers leave no room for creativity and problem-solving.

Effective learning and the forms of assessment continue to change and evolve.Being creative is key to every outcome.

I learned the advantages and disadvantages of the Holistic assessment in online teaching.

Assessment in traditional sense is content specific and does not truly assess what a student may have learned. Assessment in the Holitic sense allows for reflections of different interpretation of the same content depending on application and understanding, not easy but a good way to help students is to review the test after completion.

I learned that you can use a holistic response in online teaching. You should also allow each student to post and you respond to gain a sense of confidence. 

Learn how to use a holistic assessment for students and that testing should encourage student to engage in various learning methods.

Sign In to comment