Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kathy,
Good points. Yes, the web connectivity and hyper link technology means that linear is no longer the best way to organize or delivery information. This also heightens the opportunities for cross referencing and networking which is great for our students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I believe that our students are better prepared for the workplace from their experience utilizing technology in the classroom. I also believe that their communication and interaction skills are enhanced.

I teach a course for incoming students that focuses on skills that are pertinent to student success. The one unit that always plays a significant role, and the one students always comment as being the most useful is the time management unit. While time management is a skill that most people have/think they have, technology a factor to managing our time that can sometimes work against us. So often the technology sells us on the idea that it makes things easier and faster for us. It can help us multi-task, but for many new technologies become a time waster for people. They get sucked into their mobile devices or get distracted in the store because they are on the phone, or even find homework taking too ling because they took a little detour to check facebook. So the use of new technology really requires students to adjust what they perceive to be effective time management and cleaver multi-tasking. It requires them to work on understanding what is most effective for them in terms of managing their time with the new technology. ~Melissa

I think some of the most important skills that new technology can drive students to develop are curiosity or information-seeking, solution-seeking, and discernment. Discernment has become a very important skill for students when one considered the incredible wealth of information at their fingertips. It used to be pretty cut and dried when I was a student. The info was the info. There was such a limited amount of sources of information compared to today.
Steve

With new technology, I think this depends on the technologies being used. From a personality perspective, certain web collaboration tools help those who might tend to be a bit shy in person to help expand on their personality. Some may use technology to help improve organizational skills and some other technology may help assist with things such as how to explain what one is trying to explain.

Stephen,
Yes, so the exploration and discovery of the learning process is more clearly facilitated but students must also be able to recognize what is and what is not legitimate information.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I agree that it depends on the type of technology being used and the purpose as well. I feel that the common theme that runs through a curriculum that promotes the use of new technology is increased technological skills (obviously) as well as quality student output. Students find more innovative ways in which to share ideas and obtain information.

Paula Bordenkecher

Paula,
Very true, Paula. Think also about the way in which information is presented and organized in new environments. This increases a wider scope in literacy and application as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students learn to do more research online because there are so many resources. There is a lot of critical thinking goes into using computers and tablets for research, reading, preparing papers,etc. Students learn by learning in terms of using problem solving skills and critical thinking by using electronic devices to complete assignment, projects, papers, etc.

Robert,
Very true - these new and developing skills should then be maximized by instructors in their instructional design.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

With students now being nomadic with the capability of learning anywhere, new technology allows them the freedom to choose the technology that fits into their lifestyle and learning style. As an instructor, I must be able to use this new technology and enhance my teaching techniques with the use of this new technology.

Linda,

Very true - customization and flexibility are central characteristics of new technology-based learning environments. As well as meeting existing student expectations, new skills are developed as a result.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I find my classes becoming more and more varied with different student learning types. Some students are much more skilled in areas while others show preference and promise in other areas. To find ways to reinforce all learning types and outcomes not only helps the student further develop their skills but is an aid in diversity in the classroom and I find that retention is greatly increased if all levels/types are encouraged as well.

Sandra,
Very true. The effective use of technology can help to engage students in the learning process and with everyone participating, the environment is enriched for everyone.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Technology can open the doors to various skills for all learners in an outside of the "classroom." Learners can experience new technology and apply that technology in his/her daily lives. That is the facilitators responsibility and real life learning as discussed in this program. For example screen capturing software or video conferencing can be used by any learner in their daily work and lives to increase productivity and mobility. Once they experience it as a learner they will appreciate the possibilities.

Bill,
Very true...simply using and interfacing with new technology and digital environments require skills that students will benefit from in their study and in their future career.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students willing to use new technologies certainly are able to communicate and solve problems in new and flexible ways. Consider a project manager using traditional techniques who calls meetings any time communication is required with the team. A new-age project manager will utilize video conferencing, document sharing, and other technologies to maximize communication opportunities and effectiveness.

Kurt,
Very true...expectations are not only connectivity but multi-layered input and exchange.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Technology in the classroom effectively supports skills in learning, encouraging self-sufficiency, promoting the creation of useable products, and establishing skills that will be needed throughout the students’ lifetime. In my courses I like to place emphasis on the application of concepts and processes acquired in the online course to real world situations through the use of technology.

The new types of skills students (at least to date) demonstrate with technology can be hard to measure at times but from observation, there are so many (frankly too many) different types of technological platforms and though many are used for social settings, these same technologies make excellent tools in skill development because it involves the lesson being taught involving the learning objectives, practical application as well as the students critical thinking skills, real-life and academia involvement. It is understandable that some students may do better than others with different types of technology but I think it is more important to relate the lessons (all educational lessons) with life lessons in the effort to develop a confident holistic student and sometimes teacher too :).

Mike

Sign In to comment