Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Excellent point, Guy. Establishing a team approach to the technology use and innovation helps to facilitate group learning and collaboration at various levels.

With todays technology the student will have to keep in mind that they will have to keep thear pc clean of any viruses to keep up with class work,

New technology is being used in ways it sometimes was never intended to be. Some times new technology can be good and at times it can be bad. We have come to rely on technology too much and that can be bad. However if we are not implementing it in useful ways, our students can fall behind in the work place and become less desirable as an employee.

New technology develops many new conceptual and processing skills in our students. Student are consistently introduced to new technology. Not only do they need to learn how to manually manuever throught it, but they also need to conceptualize how to put it into effective use within their related learning. I have heard some people say that technology has stunted out student learning. On the contrary, I believe it has simply changed it.

Good points, Afrodite, but do you think it has definately challenged how instruction is designed and delievered? If so, how specifically?

John...can you be more specific about what might be good and bad uses of technology and how we can stunt the growth and development of students as a result?

There ar many new skills that develop however the one that I notice the most is that the younger students become a little more self reliant considering there new skills. That is huge when thinking about todays youth and their entitlement beliefs

I agree that technology is or will be in all aspects of the workforce and the benifits that it has with learning and productivity. but its important to not lose everyday social skills along the way.

How do you keep social skills front and center, Scott? What about social networking tools and social media?

Do you see the positive aspects in learning, David?

I agree that much that ia learned in a course, especially a technical course is not evaluated. No matter how we try to evaluate a student for knoledge and competency, some areas will be missed . Time gets in the way.

So, Carlton, given the challenge of time, how could new technology be used to create and support evaluations that are more authentic and applied?

What types of new skills does the use of new technology develop in students?

The use of new technology develops new skills such as critical thinking for students. Students are required to actively participate by demonstrating what they know whether it be an individual assignment or a group project. They in engage in the "why" and "how" in their interactions. They also include life experience and relate the learning to how it applies to everyday life. This in contrast to regurgitating facts learned from memory.

I agree with you here Bill and just to add to your thoughts, today's technology-based learning is very time sensitive including taing tests or exam. So, students need to havehigh level of sel-consciousness and higher standard of self-discipline to organized their time. In another word, time management is very cruicial in technology-based or Blended learning environment. Student who procrastinate with their assgnment and work, always fall behond the grade.

Well said, Tearee. The essence of the interconnectedness of new technology and the multilayered media possiblities present students with various options but also challenge their thinking in various ways. Do you think, as a teacher, it is important to then use this higher level of skill development to influence how a course is designed and delivered as you move forward?

I think there are many different ways that technology will assist in developing new skills, but there is also the thought that a student sitting behind a computer all day will greatly reduce there ability to deal with the customers! They are losing the ability to deal with people because the do not have have any face to face dealing with people!

So how can you as an instructor, Jessie, ensure that your students develop both kinds of skills: technological skills and interpersonal skills?

Learning to be self sufficient is one of the most valuable things a student can learn. As an instructor I have asked my students to use the internet to research certain subjects and found that the ones that did were much more efficient in class, had a better understanding of the material, and made better grades.

Learner autonomy is a critical goal in higher education, Steven, as you say. Students can often resist the kinds of activities and challenges presented to them by instructors in this process, however, they are vital. Great points, Steven.

I agree with Mr. Harris. Students who embrace new technology tend to be better students. Our classes have numerous web couses that have to be completed before the instructor led course. Those who excel at the webs do better in the course.

Sign In to comment