Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I teach a "statistics for marketing" course. Students are able to go online and access data files from a range of sources, such as the US Census bureau. They're able to learn firsthand how to decide what data to use to address a problem, such as determining market potential. They're able to collect the data and use analysis tools to prepare professional output, such as charts, that they integrate into a persuasive PowerPoint presentation. This would have been extremely difficult in a five-week course not that long ago, but technology makes it possible.

Technology in learning forces individuals to engage with critical thinking. Technology is by far an advantageous effective change for how information is managed. The motivation for most implemented technical tools is to improve time management of information and access. The progressive nature of the exponential growth of technology positions nuance directly at the top of the wish list. The continued resistance to view technology as a multifaceted approach towards efficient effective responsible management for learning in education exacerbates an already relevant issue of those resistant to learn a technical approach because they do not believe they are technical. As society progresses to interact with powerful internet based communication tools, the business that focuses on technology only as a method for information management does not understand the essential learning of establishing a relationship with the technology for what every the purpose may include. I see this in the eyes of a student that has a self fulfilling prophecy that they are not technical enough to understand the computer skills necessary for learning. Bruce (observations of information literacy are discussed by Bruce, in a report created for UNESCO. Bruce states, "The idea of information literacy, emerging with the advent of information technologies in the early 1970's has grown, taken shape and strengthened to become recognized as the critical literacy of the twenty-first century” (p. 1). The effect on education is extensive concerning information literacy. How the educational institute integrates the active learning to provide student centered learning for information literacy is challenging. Many old perceptions of what should be included in curriculum instructional design for information literacy inhibit the changes necessary to insure the student receives the practical experience necessary. These changes increase in frequency affecting the learning process in education. I believe this emphasizes the need for a common curriculum for insuring the development of IT computer information literacy in education.

What are your thoughts?

Reference

Bruce, C. S. (2002, July). Information literacy as a catalyst 
   for educational change: a background paper. White Paper 
   prepared for UNESCO, the U.S. National Commission on
   Libraries and Information Science, and the National Forum 
   on Information Literacy, for use at the Information Literacy
   Meeting of Experts, Prague, The Czech Republic. Retrieved
   February 8, 2009, from http://www.nclis.gov/libinter/infolitconf&meet/papers/bruce-fullpaper.pdf

Mara,
Good examples...thank you! If you have time, please visit the Faculty Lounge and post in the instructional forum...sharing these kinds of ideas is always helpful.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Dr. Glenn ,
So really, the kinds of skills looked for increasingly by employers such as problem solving, team work, and collaboration can be more easily developed using new technology. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Those skills tend to be softer skills like team building, cooperative communication strategies, and self-direction, as well as the academic skills of critical and applied thinking, new knowledge construction, and collaborative learning techniques.

Julie,
Do you think we value these adequately with current assignment and grading distribution or are changes needed?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

At times technology can be both a blessing and a curse.
Some of the traditional skills that most of us learned in school, children are not learning anymore.
Techonolgy has brought in computers and the Internet. Students lack research skills gain by actually going to the library and looking for books, encyclopedias, etc for information. Now you Google things. Students also no longer are required to write out assignments, which causes them to lack in legible penmanship.
The good things about technology are students can interact with a wider based of classmates easily. Students are much more tech savvy, have more technological knowledge and more advance technology skills.

Some of the new skills would include becoming a critical thinker, More confidence and self motivation. They become better communicators and have better computer skills.

In my opinion, the basic and useful skill that student develop from technology is the ability to utilize it for their learning preferences. Of course, my forms of technology and digital communication are not used by all students. For example, some students may choose to use mobile devices for interacting and communicating in the classroom environment, while others may take advantage of multimedia technology to complete assignments. What the student develops is a customized way to utilize the technology in way that are appropriate individually.

Exactly Kim. Students adjust and use the skills they learn to apply to a specific sitation in terms of the course and what is required.

Vicki

Learning to be self sufficient is one of the most valuable things a student can learn. As an instructor I have asked my students to use the internet to research certain subjects and found that the ones that did were much more efficient.

Confidence, technological fluency, and increased opportunities and the ability to seek, find and use resources independently.

anthony,
Very true...learner autonomy is one of the best skills we can help our students achieve.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Natalie,
Good observations. The ability to find information directly does raise the confidence level of students. Similarly, as students can make adjustments and customize their learning environment, they become more invested in the process.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Technology can be used to develop new skills. I believe it could actually improve existing skills as well because it would require the use of enhanced communication processes, thought processes, and demonstrative issues. Once a technology is implimentedand mastered that it's quite possible that the individual can then apply many of the techniques that were used when goalsetting,and other areas.

Dana,
So,a course's instructional design should be adaptable to integrate new skills as they are demonstrated rather than predetermining all skills ahead of time. Do you agree?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

My sense is that students research skills are enhanced when they learn to use the internet and digital libraries effectively. They have to think about the search terms they use and sometimes be creative in accessing information.

Michael ,
Yes, Information Literacy is high on the list and working with librarians can help this process a lot.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

What types of new skills does the use of new technology develop in students?

With today's technology advancements, I believe that when students who use technology will definitely have a competitive advantage over others who don't. Students who use technology learn develop a variety of new & marketable skills, as follows:

* Online collaboration in a diverse environment
* Discipline & Self-Direction
* Team Building in a virtual classroom
* Improved grammar/spelling skills (over time)
* Research strategies & skills
* Organizational Skills
* How to market themselves for employment
* Multiple ways to learn (video, chat)
* How to work smarter/efficiently ---not harder

I'm sure there is a lot that I can add to the list. However, these are some of the key skills that students learn with the use of technology --especially those that are in a blended or online classroom environment.

Fialishia O'Loughlin
IADT-Orlando

Hi Alfred, yes - I agree. You stated, "New technology enables students to easily research information..".

Sometimes, I think that technology has made research too easy for students. While I would not give the Internet without a fight, I do remember when it was important to know how to use the public library; however, nowadays, students don't even use public library unless they are absolutely required.

In addition, the Internet has a wealth of valuable knowledge; however, there are lots of non-reliable sources of information. As a result, I require that my students include at least 2-3 good references with their research papers.

Fialishia O'Loughlin
IADT-Orlando

Sign In to comment