Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical thinking, freedom of choice, personalized analysis and research.

It can teach them how to research effectively.

Our lives are completely integrated with Technology now a days. Cell phones, computers televisions,video games, meaningless items as it relates to learning and development, I think not! In fact through the utilization of these tools many skills can be further developed and fine tuned. For instance, manual dexterity, hand eye coordination, learning to relax in stressful situations. How can this be better incorporated in all learning activities?

The assignments should encourage a wide spectrum of methods of interaction - this helps keep students interested and gives students more options to find media that work with their learning style.

The methods of evaluation need to be tailored to be appropriate as well. I often will try email, text, call, and online meeting to find the best way to interact with students who need assistance. It takes flexibility on the part of the instructor.

Problem solving and critical thinking skills are both valuable and developed using new technology. New technology naturally brings challenges in figuring out how to use the new technology, which can be a useful exercise for students in itself. Not all students thrive in that environment, but it is valuable regardless!

Cutting edge skills that can be used in the workforce. This can be in job production or research oriented skills.

The type of technology that the student is learning from is how new skills are developed.

I have found that using more technology helps develop research and problem solving skills in my students. As we know- no technology is perfect. Each time I start a term I run into technology problems with my students. It can be a learning experience for them, though, learning to make sure that they can update software on their computer to make sure our resources work. They also get to practice researching on the internet how to solve common problems, or follow directions on how to solve these problems.

Although it is often seen as a headache, learning new pieces of software is actually a very versatile and real life skill. Most everyone has to learn new problems and learn to answer their own questions once they transition to the workplace.

Best,
Brian Stout

Theresa,
I agree that certain skills are developed by using new technology - I also think these skills should be valued in a course and rewarded as part of the grade distribution.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I can only answer this question in regards to my own learning. There is this thing called the internet. It is for me my source of all learning. I merely ask a question, and the internet gives me an answer. When the internet gives me an answer that I am not happy with, I ask the question in a different way, and I obtain a different answer.

I am really using a technique called crowd sourcing. I am taking advantage of the knowledge of millions of people to increase my own learning. What I have learned is ask questions. The answers are out there. I believe that others are employing the same skills that I have learned, and in my opinion, asking questions is the most important skill to be learned.

Donald L. Buresh

Donald,
It really does depend on the question, I agree. This is a great way to increase critical thinking in students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment