Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes, Alicia, innovation is a key characteristic of new technology users and even teachers and students. New technology is so flexible and ubiquitous that more and more uses and applications can be developed by frequent and diverse explorations and innovations. Good point!

No sure about new skills as much as a further delination and improvement of existing skills and the exploration of new technology capabilities.
To get students to learn new skills must be associated with the learning outcome and objectives.

Yes, I agree, Francis. I would suggest that the learning outcomes of any current course using new technology and supporting methodology should also identify key skills associated with those challenges and that will be developed as students progress.

Technology can be used as a vehicle to teach new technology from the standpoint growing more knowledgeable of the capabilities of the technology. The new skills need to be reinforced through application and use. teaching anew skill with the technology is only aprt of the final goal the other is to have the student show knowledge through use.
Indirectly the student is learning how to think in a logical and clear way. The new skills might be process or procedure based so learning via a technology forat might be the best way to dissemiate new skills to alarger group of people.

I'm an Auto Diesel tech by trade I teach the craft to 30 new students every three weeks I can tell you these students will do alot of self study on line when they graduate in order to keep up with the industry changes. Having to process information and see how the students understand new technology is going to be a challenge for all of us. I believe setting up chat rooms by the manufactures and getting the students together to share information is a must. You know about the problems Toyota just went through I would be willing to bet some one had already had that problem and a tech had already repaired it but did not indulge what he found. I believe this because Toyota found a fix practically over night. If a chat room or discussion web site had been available the problem probably would not have gotten blown out of proportion.

being able to rely on themsevles

Certainly that is important as well as taking initiative to research and apply information.

Yes, the self-directed and self paced skills that online learners develop have many implications for ongoing learning and skill development. Good points, Cecil.

This is a good point that sometimes gets forgotten. Technology can only go so farr and it is up to the instructor to take it the rest of the way.

When working with Adult Learners, I find that increasing the use of new technology helps the students to catch up with changes in technology that they may not have previously adapted. This results in greater confidence and comfort overall.

Yes, LE, and I would say job readiness/marketability as well...and of course enriching the learning experience overall.

Yes, William, instructors must be as aware as possible of new technology, however, I would suggest it is both students and instructors working tgether in a context of learning that will help keep moving things forward.

I am not sure it is the new technology that develops the skills, more it is how the new technology is used. I have been in classrooms with technology abuse (powerpoint abuse) and seen the same abuses online.
Technology has the ability to be used to convince students to think! By using simulations, interactive white boards, and tablet PC's with the right software and for the right purposes we can try to develop more thought and evaluation as a part of the students training. The technology by itself will not do this - it takes a combination of technology, planning and involvement.

-Chris

Very true, Chris. However, instuctors who are aware of the potential and capability of each technolgy application and use within educational contexts can be intentional about the development of new skills in students - skills that may not be developed without the technology. Can you think of a new skill that could be intentionally developed in your students by introducing a new technology use with them?

Yes, it sounds strange but I have to introduce computer and automated service tickets to most of them. We slowly start doing testing online, as state licensing exams are online. We use simulators which is new technology to many of them.

In another course (that I am taking) I have been playing around with the idea of using Second Life to build simulators that they can "walk" into and see how equipment works from the inside out.

-Chris

Awesome, Chris! I like your focus on supporting all processes within the course with technology so that it is fully integrated into the course life. I also agree that simulation technology is a great way to learn situational thinking as well as critcal thinking. What kinds of assignemnts could support this type of learning?

I usually use: You are a technician going on a service call.... have fun! Seriously, simulating service calls, etc. is a great assignment as I then become the customer and the technology is the tool!

Customer service scenarios are also great!

-Chris

So, role playing as well as scenario creation helps to situate the students within what I call, "a meaningful context of use". This allows the learning to be as relevant as possible. Great ideas, Chris!

The use of new technology, which allows for continual access to information and communications, requires the students to develop new skills. Strong organizational skills are needed to sort through and organize the large amount of available information on almost every topic. Perseverance is needed to remain on task and accomplish goals, without being influenced by outside distractions. Continual communication capabilities require time management skills, as demands for time are spread among research, entertainment, and other personal needs, often available using one multi-tasking electronic device (either computer or cell phone). Application knowledge is essential for managing information from many sources, merging and modifying the information, and creating multi-media presentations and reports. The effectiveness of the new technology is best demonstrated by a knowledgeable user.

Bill Lembke

Great comments, Bill. I agree that the kinds of skills are diverse and are required both to manage and apply new technology on a regular basis and for many purposes. How do you think these skills could be better reflected and valued in learning outcomes and assessment?

Sign In to comment