Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That is essentially the difference between knowing that and knowing how.. or simple Knowledge recall level of learning... good for remembering numbers or codes perhaps.. but not necessarily reflective of new knowledge construction. With a few exceptions, say math and some of the sciences.. the process of getting to an answer or learning outcome is more applicable than the answer itself.

Kassy,
Excellent points! Therefore, focusing on and valuing the learning process is key - that is also what supports ongoing learning.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

we need to evaluate the process to determine if the student can use the the lesson to find the correct outcomeS if that makes any sence at all

jon,
Yes, each assignment should be tied directly to the outcomes of the course so that you, as an instructor, can monitor student progress throughout. Assignments and homework should not be "busywork" but work that has a purpose.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

As we have been discussing, new generations have different ways of living and learning. If we were still using chalk boards and scan-trons we would be in a world of hurt with todays students.

Eric,
They also require new and evolving skills which should be encouraged and validated by assigning grade values. Good points...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

it's like taking a quiz on what you have learned in the middle of the lesson. the same reason that tests are given at the end of the lesson, to see what the student has learned in the lesson

James,
Do you use other methods along with quizzes to check for understanding?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have to follow the cirriculum in class, the other interaction I have with the students while I am delivering the lesson is all the questions with the class as a whole and individually with the students

James,

Yes, Q&A is extremely beneficial - how about group collaboration and synthesis ?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

the students in this course work together in the lab (shop) several days during the 3 week class. I always encourage the group collaboration on the lab work and the work with the engines

Is standardized testing the best way to assess a students learned material? Probably not, but I don't think it should be discounted. Standardized testing and Content based testing cover the general information that is required to pass a course or topic of discussion. I find that if a student has taken the time to memorize enough material to pass the test that information usually stays with them. Are there exceptions? sure. I see it all the time, and even when someone passes a test many people tend to "throw away" the information learned. Evaluating the individual however is even more difficult. How do you tell one student he got the answer correct on a test because he looked for the answer or knew the information versus telling a student even though he guessed the answer correctly he doesn't get the point? That is where we use a hands on test to check their learning, but even then there are those who can slide by. this is where I have difficulty giving our schools "stamp of approval". which students do you send out to the world with a smile knowing they got it and which ones do you hope forget the schools name when they go looking for a job.

Jason,

We do want students to be able to memorize successfully when needed, however, this cannot be the only way we assess what students know. Memorizing material does not mean the material is understood by the student - only remembered...we must find ways to check for understanding and assess actual learning.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

i would think the opposite would be true. The use of new technology raises the standard of the course and the expectations of the students. I use some of the standard methods of assessment but give them mimimal weight in the final grade. Students need to learn the vocabulary and be able to use the proper terminology in the real world. I, also, incorporate real world projects that are heavily weighted to assess the students' grasp of concepts and information that would be used in a practical application.

Martha,

This sounds like a good balance - providing the projects gives students a chance to both explore and demonstrate their learning process - great!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

As a physicist with an engineering background my objective is to help the student develop into an independent thinker. The student must be able to apply the knowledge tomorrow as a professional or this afternoon in the lab.

Graduate schools, companies and national laboratories that seek our students will all require creative thought, ability to work cooperatively, and honesty. I must be able to evaluate my students on these points.

To a certain degree a course grade will reflect this. I do try to make certain that my course grades do. But almost nobody evaluating a professional engineer or scientist is swayed by GPA. It is the evaluation I point to above that will open doors. That comes in the letter I write to recommend the person.

Carl,
Great comments! So, the process is absolutely central, which is wonderful...in other disciplines too, this is where the true learning can be evaluated. Thank you for sharing such a clear example...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We evaluate our students on quizzes, seminars, tutorials, case studies, assignments, laboratory experiments and class and laboratory attendance are regularly monitored to determine how well students are responding to the instructions. With above assessment attributes, teachers have the opportunity to ask yourself whether students are capable of what they should be as a result of participating in your class up to that point and meeting the course objectives. Some systems use an external evaluation in addition to interanl evaluation to get a clear picture of meeting course objectives.

KIZHAKKEPARAMPIL,
Great! It sounds like you have quite an holistic assessment system in place - again thank you for sharing these ideas.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

It is important to evaluate the process of learning because the process helps to illustrate the students ability to reason, problem-solve and captures the students approach to organizing information to arrive at some answer. This tells you more about the students abilities and their level of learning than simply seeing that they do or do not arrive at a defined learning outcome.

Furthermore, every student comes in at a different stage in this "process" so focusing primarily on the learning outcome without any consideration of where they may be does not cater well to the students needs. More importantly, ensuring that a student has progressed in his/her process in relation to the learning outcome is just as important.

Sign In to comment