Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As the module stated, "thinking, interaction, collaboration, communication, and application all represent areas of process." Progess and growth in these areas can be just as or maybe more valuable than some content areas.

And how do you measure this kind of growth in your students, Donna?

Any student can produce a final objective. However too often the objective is either of poor quality or lacks the breath and depth of what the instructor was seeking.
It's the process of learning that tells the instructor how students meet the objective. Process learning enables the student to pass through multiple check points to get instructor feedback and to be sure the student is enriched by the total learning process not just the satisfaction of a final grade.
gg

You must constantly evaluate your process of learning to be sure you incorporate all styles fo learning.You may think that you are getting the message across with your technique but find out later that no one understands how to think through to the answer.Teaching how to figure out the answer to a problem, can be helpful in future endeavors!

Good points, Warren. So, focusing on the process, what would you say are the most vital aspects to evaluate in terms of the learning that has taken place (e.g. thoughts, discussion/exchange, application)?

Yes, Gil, and the checkpoints are what are vital. How do you ensure you have the most effective checkpoints throughout the process?

You do this so you can keep on top of the technology curve and keep up to date with the students knowledge of new technology as well.

I believe that the "testing" process does not fully gauge the total effectiveness of being taught how to do something. Learning or developing critical path analysis will ultimately allow someone to be able to make a decision on a process that has a better outcome than if it was learned in a book or lecture only. For instance, in my line of work I had specialized in automotive electrical diagnosis. This requires years of development in critical path analysis. I now teach this necessary concept to young students. Some grasp how important it is and others cannot. Multiple choice testing for theory is fine but hands on evaluations on skills is what will get them by in the real world.

Excellent points, Steven, Therefore, using technology well to evaluate learning does not simply mean electronic tests or quizzes but actually creating environments of assessment within which students must use critical thinking skills to solve real problems.

I agree our students need to know how to properly build a product.Most shop or team owners are not concerned with the metalurgical aspects of how they weld or fabricate but the end results. I am glad that the labs count for a higher percetage of the final grade than the classwork.

Process learning enables the student to pass through multiple check points to get the awnser the instructor is looking for. However too often the objective is either of poor quality or lacks the breath and depth of what the instructor is seeking.

So how can you ensure that throughout the learning process that the learning objective is clear for your students? Is this something indicative of technology use, Clive, or simply a general challenge for good instructional design and delivery?

Well for sure if we're spending time to learn new processes, outcomes must be observed to check effectiveness. That seems like teaching a student and never grading their work. We must seek outcome.....

Of course grades must be applied, Wayne, however, if the value of the grade rests on the learning process rather than simple tasks, that is much more effective for the student.

I beleive this is the adhesive tht holds the information in long term memory longer as well as it develops confidence in the student.

Could you elaborate some on that, Larry?

The lesson mentioned scaffolding for memory retention. So, the way I see it is kind of like metacognitive learning.

Students always like to be rewarded for their acheivements no matter how trivial. By rewarding them with a grade for any effort, they will keep trying to improve and do more research

Good point, Ken, so we need to make sure we award points for the most important aspects of the course :)

This is difficult to do especially when many classes have 30 students. Any time spend before or after class with a one on one learning can increase the learning process even if the time is short 15-20 minutes. Many times this is all that is needed.

Sign In to comment