Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To assure that all learning outcomes have been met or exceeded. This needs to be measured by way or assuring that required skills for the course as well as content knowledge has been achieved.

Evaluating the process allows me to see that a student has actually learned the concepts and methods we are covering rather than simply spitting back what I've said in class. I can also look back at the process and see when and where a student might have gotten lost.

zena,
Yes, process is so important and with new technology the process can be both supported and demonstrated.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Some individuals are simply poor test takers. They may have test anxiety or just perform poorly on tests. I have talked a student through tests, without the student actually knowing it was a test, and seen marvelous results. Evaluating the process of learning also allows you to recognize if students are not understanding the material, perhaps you have structured your content for one learning style rather than multiple ones.

Angela,
So, providing more options to students than tests provides all learners with opportunities to demonstrate what they know.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We need to know what is going on in the learning process. By evaluating the process of learning we can provide more meaningful experiences for our students. I find that that feedback that I get from each of my courses helps me see what areas I can be more effective in.

David,
I agree - and constant feedback throughout any course helps to identify student needs and their progress.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The key factors that involved in holistic learning assessments are to value the learning process itself in order to empower students, not simply the end result. When a student's process is valued then their individual path to the learning outcomes is valued and they can further feel acknowledged for their specific approach.

In addition, students learn differently. We are not looking at the millennial learners who have been introduced to many ways of achieving an end result due to technology.

Students need to be encouraged to use the skills they have to acquire knowledge not simply memorize the facts.

To fully evaluate if learning has taken place the entire process and the outcome must be evaluated. With all the technology available to us in the classroom the standard of learning and expectations are being raised. Students not only must prove that they retained the material but must also be able to apply it in real word applications. Once concepts and retained information are applied in a practical application learning has taken place.

robert,
Yes! New technology helps to make the learning process more observable and measurable.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think both have to be done to see the progress shown at a particular time. It helps to see where the students should get more help before moving on to the next topic.

Deb

If the process of learning is not evaluated, how can you improve the methods you are using? Evaluating the process allows you to really look at what you are doing, the outcomes of the students, and compare what is working to what may not be working.

While the student outcomes are important, understanding how they are getting those outcomes, or not getting the outcomes you expect is important to. Continuous evaluation through surveys, monitoring of emails, and the demonstrations of what works and what doesn't allows the educator to make decisions to change, modify, or rearrange the program they are teaching.

Alice,
Good points - the process is what tells us how the student is learning and also why specific outcomes have or have not been reached.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Good point. While I used to shy away from case studies as an inexperienced instructor, what I have found over the years is just want everyone is saying: the students learn programmed answers and then get out of the program and still cannot critically think out in the field. The application of the knowledge and skills is so critical that we must at a minimum SIMULATE those real-life experiences in the classroom and focus not only on students' mastery of the fundamentals but also their ability to think critically and apply principles in real-life situations.

This is a great point. So often, I ask students what they believe the purpose of a particular course is - or even a specific assignment - and often, they have absolutely no idea how that assignment or the overall course pertains to their programmatic outcomes. Therefore, over the years, I have come to spending some time at the beginning of each course explaining the purpose of the course and the major assignments in that course to clarify their purposes and what is expected of the student to know and master by completing the assignments and the course. It has helped the students to be able to better verbalize and dialogue intelligently about it. Thanks for sharing.

It is important to evaluate the process of learning in addition to the learning outcomes because with the advent and proliferation of technology, the methodologies we have to arrive at the learning outcomes have changed and expanded. There are more than one way to skin a cat - so to speak. Therefore, it's not just enough to believe that you've taught the learning outcomes and the student has learned them. These days, we must consider HOW we are arriving at those learning outcomes. As the lecture stated, students learn in different ways. With all of the different learning styles, coupled with our teaching styles, if we are not careful, we might find ourselves presenting information in the way we are most comfortable, which might only work for students who learn in that way - which could leave out those who learn in different ways that how we are most comfortable teaching. So we must remain conscious and aware of the methods we are using to ensure that 'no student is left behind.'

Yvette,
I agree - case studies encourage learning within contexts that reflect real life and can be adjusted to reflect the challenges of change and real life demands. That makes for more substantial and critical learning to take place.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Yvette,
Very true - focusing on the learning process shows the "how" and the "why"...whereas evaluating only the outcome shows the "what" and little else.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think it is important because it levels the playing field, so to speak. Since all students learn differently and respond to different teaching styles, evaluating not just the final outcomes but also the grasp of the concepts in their (students) own ways allows them the freedom to relate the information to what they will be doing in their own terms. It makes the materials more practical for them.

Mia,

Yes...so the process is important, not just the end goal. I remember years ago in Math class we would always be asked to write out each stage of our calculations so that the teacher could see "how" we got to our answer. Today, the process still means our thinking process, but also our interaction, exchange, and production stages as well (given the uses of new technology).

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment