Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Because in the new world of instant access to knowledge the process of locating and evaluating information has become more important than simply responding to questions on a topic. Learning is no longer a linear process but a non-linear one. As Dr. Deming often stated, a college degree is merely a learner's permit.

During my years of teaching, I have noticed that students can memorize material to meet learning outcomes; however, they must also have the ability to apply what they have learned. Application of learning can only be ascertained through the evaluation process and through rubrics. First, having rubrics in the course will let the student know the grading criteria and how course concepts will be evaluated. Furthermore, a rubric acquaints all students with a preview of learning outcomes and course expectations; therefore, there are no surprises.

Moreover, it is essential to evaluate the process of learning with several mini-projects, and then a final project that will provide a summative evaluation. For example, a final research paper based on the course concepts and course outcomes affords the student the ability to demonstrate critical thinking, competency of material and application of learning. Hence, this offers all students the same evaluative criteria; however, each student's application of what they have learned will be based on their own knowledge and each paper will contain a different point-of-view. Any thoughts?

Take care...
Naomi

This is a tricky question for a writing teacher to answer because writing *is* a process, so the learning outcome is to see improvement in the process.

With literature, it's always been about the journey of discovery--but today's technology allows me faster access into students' processes and allows allows for sharing.

I've always had my students write a response journal to literature, but now they can share their responses via blog and get feedback from other students. This is a great way to see their process.

I guess for English teachers, at least most of us, it's never been about outcomes. It's always been about process. Or maybe that's me. Writing and literature are journeys, not destinations.

Margarette,
As literature teacher you for sure have a "head start" on the importance of process. I agree that blogs provide a great tool to evaluate the learning process throughout. I have found this to be true using blogs with my students...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Learning outcomes are not always reflective of the development of the individuals critical thinking capabilites but the assessment of the learning process rewards the effort driven aspects of the learning process and the connections that are developed along the way.

Michael,

What methods do you currently use with your students to evaluate their learning?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Think about an assessment in math. It is not as important to get the right answer as it is to understand how you got the answer. If a learner cannot repeat the process or understand the process, the learning is of no value. When the learner attempts another mathematical problem, if they do not know the process they will most likely fail at achieving the correct answer or accidently stubmle across the correct answer.

Having and using a good evaluation format helps verify not just the cognitive aspect of the learning but the application of the learning. In the automotive field it is more about what you can do first, then how much you know. The old adage of anyone can take a test, but can you fix the vehicle?

In the arena of blended classes, instructors need to evaluate course delivery, and make the from transition from lecturer to content delivery/facilitator.

By creating a learning environment where student can make use of technology tools, students will be able to produce their work, participate fully in the learning process and take ownership of their results.

Giving students the chance (or the gentle professorial nudge) to engage in their own learning via research, group projects, and critical thinking enriches their learning process, and learning outcomes.

With blended, dynamic instructional design and realistic assessments students can have an opportunity to apply what they learned to real life.

Betsy,
Yes, there is a great balance potential with blended delivery, I agree.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Currently, with the integration of new technology in every aspect of students' lives, process must be part of assessment and process is precisely what new technology demonstrates more clearly than ever before. Using new technology provides students with ways to change things, create new things, and apply learning in new ways and beyond the confines of a pre-set course. Therefore in method and delivery, the focus is on process throughout. That is not to say that the end result is not important. Indeed in many disciplines the end result is vital. It does mean, however, that students have more opportunity to make new paths in their learning and find new ways of achieving the end result and that the level of process innovation is something that should be valued in the assessment.

I still remember my dismay when I received a bad grade on an advanced physics exam due to a computation error at the very end. I had demonstrated that I had understood the problem and had reasoned my way through it. That experience changed my own teaching approach and forms of assessments. I am delighted that process is being heralded.

Greetings,

The process of learning needs to be assessed to recognize different learning styles amongst students as well as different levels of learning (Bloom's Taxonomy). Just learning basic definitions does not provide a holistic approach to learning.

Thanks for asking!

Rick

In many cases, the process is equally important or even superior to the product. For example, in learning a new skill or technique, even if not perfect, the process leading to the improvement or where they can apply the technique in the future is important.

Unfortunately my school is very focused on standardized tests. I teach art history and studio art; our head forces us to give written multiple choice exams for studio art as a "final exam" whereas I'd prefer a portfolio review. This mentality will hopefully change over time.

Taking a test tells me nothing. Once the student has demonstrated a concept several times without error, tells me the learning has transpired. I am the worst test taker I have ever known, but if you show me something twice, I will have it down pat. Having taught higher education within a hospitality and culinary environment, base principles can be tested, but your skill set and transfer of knowledge into practical real life situations tells me far more.

Martin,
Yes! So while tests may be a necessity in some industries and professions, our job as instructors is to make sure the concepts have been understood and can be applied.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Its important to evaluate the process of learning to be able to continually review our learning outcomes. This will help instructors to be able to quickly identify areas of strength and weakness in our students. Once identified, you can make any necessary changes to improve student learning.

Loriann,
Yes, good points! So, not only evaluating students but also ourselves as instructors. We must become as reflective as possible so that we can improve more quickly.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

What kind of external evaluation is preferred for a clearer picture of students meeting course objectives?

Faith ,
That would be different depending on your subject area and professional field. Sometimes it is an external exam or sometimes a competition or professional demonstration.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment