Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree. If a test only evaluates what a student has been programmed to answer where is the total learning experience. Anyone can pass a standard test if they read a book, but applying what they learn sholuld also be assested.

The process of learning must be continually evaluated to ensure that it encompasses all learning styles and techniques. As technology advances, different methods of giving and receiving information becomes available. Our understanding of HOW people learn is constantly increasing and evolving and it is essential that the learning process evolves along with it.

Krista,

I agree - teachers remaining learners of the learning process s critical.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students learn differently. How they express their level of learning also varies. A good test taker may not be able to apply the knowledge in a real life situation but can memorize and retain information for tests.

Sheila,

Very true, which is why various methods should be used with any group of students. How do you address this kind of diversity in planning your learning assessments?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Often the student says they understand the concept and may be able to show this in a basic exam, but can not actively practice it. I give a variety of assessments- some in the form of simple quizzes like in this course with direct feedback and often he students do fine on them. However, when I give them an open response exam, they can not communicate the answer in a clear way that demonstrates they have learned. So I can see how evaluating the learning process along the way would also be helpful in assessing if they have reached the outcome.

I agree. Some students are great test takers or are great at memorization. As teachers, we have to let them take themselves further.

Ann Marie,
While memorization is a great skil to have and develop, yes, it is also important to continue to stretch students to use what information they have and to apply in in a variety of contexts - critcal thinking...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I agree I work at a school that is making a change as we speak and implimenting web based training I am realy looking forward to this change more comunication through IOL's and blog time with Me plus lab efficiatcy tests I realy think its going to be fun.

Educators are no longer the gatekeepers to information and content as so much information is available via the internet. We have a saying in the edtech world - "Don't give questions that students can easily Google the answers." As such the process of learning is even more important than the outcomes in the 21st century.

There is always more than one way to get to the right answer. Instructors can teach a process, but there is nothing to say that process will make sense to all students. Some students can achieve the learning outcomes by adapting the process to their own learning style. Learning is very individualized and students should be recognized and rewarded for learning how they best learn.

One important factor is having a rubric and standard way of grading the process. This is typically a bit more difficult than grading a test. As we get away from the conventional testing methods we have to be sure we remain in compliance with accreditation organizations and the like.

David,

Yes! Rubrics are wonderful and make the learning and assessment so much more transparent and focused.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Much of the actual learning that takes place in the course does not occur in the 2 or 3 hours of testing (midterms or finals) that are often the only tools used to assess the outcome. Many students are inappropriately assessed, some receive a better grade because they perform well on these types of exams,but have actually not really learned anything, and others have actually learned alot that is never tested. Process based assessments would better reflect the actual learning that takes place for the student. The assessments will also better guide teachers to process improvement and create even better more engaging classroom environments.

Janelle,

Very true...so the more we expand the learning options and opportunities the more likely it will be that students will be engaged and participate.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

If online learning is going to make a real impact in your organization, you'd better have better reasons to justify the investment than "well, everyone else is doing it". Evaluation takes a bit of work, but then nothing was ever achieved without a little effort. There are many good reasons for measuring the success of your online learning program. To validate education / training as a business tool: Online education / training is one of many actions that an organization can take to improve its performance and profitability. Only if training is properly evaluated can it be compared against these other methods and can you expect it, therefore, to be selected either in preference to or in combination with other methods. To justify the costs incurred in education / training: We all know that when money is tight, training budgets are amongst the first to be sacrificed. Only by thorough, quantitative analysis can training departments make the case necessary to resist these cuts. To help improve the design of education / training: Online education / training programs should be continuously improved to provide better value and increased benefits for an organization. Without formal evaluation, the basis for changes can only be subjective. To help in selecting education / training methods: These days there are many alternative approaches available to training departments, including a variety of classroom, on-job and self-study methods. Using comparative evaluation techniques, organizations can make rational decisions about the methods to employ.

Because the answer is not the point. How you get there is the point. This is the issue that most educators have with standardized tests. They prove that students can fill in blanks, but they do not demonstrate whether the student understands the implications of what he or she has covered. Johnny may know that the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776 and the Constitution did not go into effect until 1789, but does he know why? Does he understand everything that happened in between, and how that influenced the founding documents for the United States?

The purpose of education is not to fill people's heads with facts, but to teach people how to think for themselves, investigate issues and ideas for themselves, and come to conclusions themselves based on the evidence they have gathered. Sadly, most students just want to know what answer you as the teacher want because that is easier. I would hope that this new research will help us better develop measurements of process rather than outcome.

Rebecca,
Yes, there is a difference between information and knowledge - thinking through issues and ideas is central to effective learning. What kinds of assessments have you used that really demonstrate what a student knows rather than simply remembering information...?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Because different students learn differently its important to develop different ways to measure the learning. Most tests don't test learning as much as they test memory and test taking skills. They may be easy to evaluation but they may not really reflect what the student has learned.

My wife is a good example. She comes from a non-western culture and always has problems with traditional tests, not because she doesn't know the material but because of she wasn't exposed to such tests until she was an adult so she is not used to providing answers in such a tightly structured situation. When she is tested in interviews and using essay questions without time limit she does well.

Thomas,
Yes, many students struggle with conventional testing methods which is why it is vital that instructors find multiple ways to evaluate learning if every student is to be accomodated. Good points...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment