Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Looking at Jack's response I think the inputs--process--outputs is a better explanation. This way we can vary the student inputs based on the students research/knowledge/interaction with outher students to process (formaulate the response based on the task at hand) and finally the output is the students work product.
Especially at the graduate level were the output will not have one correct answer but is a matter of how the student explaind ther research and the conclusions they drew.

Good points, Francis. Particularly note that inputs and outputs can be either static or dynamic in the sense that they can either be predetermined (by the teacher or instructional design) or emergent from the learning process (the ideal).

That is true, Tracy, although sometimes the outcomes may not be well supported or mediated in a course...therefore, they would need to be revisted as well.

From a career training perspective I want students to learn the core material for whatever subject I am teaching, however I want them to learn critical thinking skills (I think is more important). This requires me to evaluate the process of learning, I want the students to lead this process as well.

-Chris

Yes, I agree Chris. So what kinds of changes does this approach make to how your course is constructed and delivered to your students?

Much more self paced, me standing in the background more allow students to be challenged. I am more a learning manager than a lecturer. It took me a long time and lots of schooling to get it through my thick skull. I can't do it for them or it becomes memorization. It is very difficult at times not to jump in and do it for them.

I was soooo proud of my guys in a practical exam last night! They all get it!

-Chris

Yes, Chris...actually commitment to the learning process ends up sometimes being the biggest challenge for teachers. It often appears necessary to intervene and while that may be necessary at some points, not always. The process of learning must continue and be supported by the teachers...not interrupted. Can you think of ways you could provide checks and balances for yourself in negotiating this challenge?

Watching the students and learning attitudes is the biggest way to check yourself. I think listening and watching are the biggest skills many teachers forget exist, and they are basic instincts. Perhaps it's because when they were students they were not listened to and watched.

Talking with (note I said with, not "at" ) the students is another great check. I like standing with them at break occasionally, it is a great measure. If they include me in conversation, I do not have a barrier - I am a member of the team. If they do not continue conversation when I am standing near by, the wall is starting to go up.

Many teachers seem to hide in the office at break times and lunch times all the time. Not so good for communication and team building. I understand not too close, but I don't want the wall up.

-Chris

Excellent, Chris! Yes, it's amazing what teachers can learn about their students by meeting them on equal "human" ground and simply listening to what they have to say. I like your idea of "team" as, again, this is so important for students to learn in preparation for future professional success.

It is important to evaluate the learning as a student progresses because a student maybe using the wrong method for performing a task and will continue to do it wrong until someone (instructor) shows them their error. Certain tasks require a particular proceedure that can be easily done incorrectly, without the learning realizing the mistake because their knowledge of what the proper outcome could be limited.

Yes, Don, intentional and meaningful intervention by the instructor is critical in the learning process. How do you think instructors can maintain effectiveness without diminishing learner autonomy?

I'm an engine builder turned into an instructor to teach engine building. The process is very cirtical to the outcome of building an engine and you cannot deviate from it. Therefore the students should not be infulenced by outside sources and other distraction other than what I'm trying to teach them. From what I can understand from this section, I feel it does not apply to the process of the cousres I instruct.

I agree with most everyone about evaluating students on their learning, it should be a critical step in the holistic process. But how do you find the middle ground of time and money management. To implement some of these ideas would take a class size from 30 students, down to maybe 12-15 to be effective. Time is money, resources cost money, and students have enough trouble just getting loans to be in school. How do we impliment, yet remain cost effective?

Good questions,Jason. It is "messy" in some ways to be holistic in evaluation rather than use simple test methods. The main challenge is to create and design assignments that can be evaluated based on learning outcomes so that it is clear what is being assessed. Rubrics can also help particularly with larger groups of students.

We often have lab tasks that involve math and simple calculations. The students are encouraged to “show how you got to the answer”, often we can see they had the correct process but made a math error or transposed numbers. If the answer is incorrect but the process was correct we’ll give partial credit. If the answer is incorrect and there is no process then we have to count the entire portion wrong. Sometimes knowing how to get the correct answer is the answer

Yes, I like your thinking here. Giving value to the process is a wonderful way to encourage learner autonomy and also develop a greater understanding of how one learns.

One of my labs involves doing compound ratios, transmissions, and it has to be performed in a specific way. This lab is done in preparation of doing the transmission lecture. I start with teaching them the rules of calculating simple ratios and progress from there. By the time we finish the ratio lab, the students are suprised to see how much they have learned about transmission operation. If they learn compound ratios properly, they have also learned how the powerflow works in the transmission and all I have left to do is demonstrate how the sub-components work. This is a blended approach that starts with a fifteen minute lecture and progresses to the white board and from there to work sheets and practice and finally testing.

Great example, Jeffrey, of how this combination of technology and delivery methods can enrich the learning experience as well as provide opportunity for the demonstration of knowledge.

I this in perfict world we need to check are work if it is bulding something or teaching someone how to do things. If we never check are work we never really know if we are doing the job to the best we can.

Hi Franz,
Your focus on assessment is important in order to evaluate effective learning. That is, assessment of student learning, and self assessment of effective teaching methods. What methods of assessment do you use in your classes?

Sign In to comment