Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Since I work for an Online division of a college, I embrace the concept of the "nomadic" learner. I understnad the value first hand because I recently took some courses toward an advanced degree through another online school. I appreciated the freedom that it allowed--not only to focus on class when my schedule allowed but also to be able to "attend" class even if I were in a different geographical location.

The "nomadic" concept can be expanded to the workplace. With the aid of my Blackberry and my computer, my office can be in various places according to my needs or the needs of my employer. I'm not tied to one location to learn or to work.

I see the "nomadic" concept helping students and workers to maximize their time and their potential.

Hello Harry, I totally agree with you on this posting. However, there is very little or nothing we can do about this. We are into the 21st century and part of gigital generation and we as teachers have really no other options but go along with the flow. My curricum is mostly fixed, however, I do have some flexibility to make some adjustment to a certain point as long as I don't change the Terminal Course Objectives which is better known as the TCO.

Today, majority (especially younger student group) students do have tendency to cheat as everything is readily available on the internet. But even then, there are students who really don't get it and we have literally have to spoon feed tem.

...and of course, Anwar, students have always found ways to cheat, unfortunately. As instructors, our focus must always be the learning process for every student so that we can recognize those students who are struggling, those who are cheating, and those who are doing well.

Yes, Donna, and the combination of nomadic characteristics of students and the connectedness made possible by mobile technology, everyone can still fully participate regardless of time or space. What do you see as the main benefits to learning of these developments?

These developments allow students more control over when they debote time to learning. Without these, students might not be able to fit learning into their busy schedules.

Donna, do you think only time is the main benefit or anything else as well?

Technology enables student to be access information almost anywhere, at any time. They know how to "create" community without having to be face-to-face. Place and environment are not relevant as long as there's an internet connection.
gg

Very true, Gil. This has great implications for teaching and learning, don't you think? What has influenced your teaching methods the most as a result of the nomadic characteristics of current students?

information and Interaction today is in real-time We only dreamed of having the information "right now".

Yes, Clive, and that "immediacy" changes a lot of things for both instructor and student. As you say, many of us did not grow up with this kind of connectivity and mobile technology, however, although it might be a huge learning curve, it can add so much dynamic to the learning process for students. Can you think of some examples, Clive, where real time technology could make a difference with your students?

Because of the demand for constant and extensive networking capabilities and all of the various ways (methods) of communicating. Essentailly there are no boundaries to communicate and therefore an emergence of multiple ways to cross those boundaries (new applications and new verbiage).
For example, if you were shopping for a new laptop and wanted to get the best for the investment. Immediate consultation and feedback is available from a world wide pool of data which includes those with personal experiences with specific types.

Exactly, Larry. Direct communication and open access (open source, open editing etc) are fairly characteristic of the expectations of today's students. Knowing this, can you think of changes you might want to make to your current instructional design in order to accomodate this?

In reply to the term hijacking,isn't some of the best learning techniques taking from Instructor to Instructor. We gain ideas by talking to coworkers and people in the field to help us put other proccesses in our teaching styles. If an idea can be hijacked, by all means do it, the student will benifit from the expanded learning and the Instructor will not become stagnent or set in his ways.

As instructors we must think out side the box and deliver the course content in a way that our students ie coustomer can understand it;That may consist of a different way we instruct our class

So, Jackie, how can new technology help present content in a more interesting fashion to students? Also, how can new technology help support the actual learning process?

Well said, Ken. Teaching is not an exact science and ongoing learning is crucial. Learning from each other is also vital as we all strive to get better at our job.

Today's generation of learners are extremely flexible in when and where they chose to have what I call a "learning moment". I have seen students sitting in the park or a doctor's office and take out their iPad and read a Chapter or write a paper.I have been stuck in traffic and taken out my phone to check in on my online discussions.

Technology has given today's learner an abundance of freedom of choice in their method of learning and time on task for that learning. Everywhere is a good time and place to participate in learning.

Great point about "time on task", Kim. This works for both students and instructors as you say. It also means that often students are taking the initiative and being extremely self-directed, which is great.

Nomads were the explorers in the past and our current Students are exploring this new training idea. It is so important that the content is clear, informative and easy to use. If it isn't it is just as easy for the Student to wander off and explore some other subject that is not relevant to their learning. Their attention needs to be held for their success.

Good points, Jack. Students are exploring and so are teachers :) How do you think the nomadic characteristics of current students enhance the learning experience?

Sign In to comment