Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jennifer,
Yes, I agree. I do think that they are potentially much more able to engage at various levels than conventional students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Nomadic mantle is pretty accurate. The learning can come from so many different directions. Students will always benefit from being shown the way and being given 'the spark' by their instructors.
Steve

Stephen,
Yes, and continuous connectivity and mobility are now the new norm. This should affect how we design and deliver instruction.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

With the proliferation of mobile devices learning anytime and anywhere is becoming the norm. Students no longer are limited to a single gateway to access knowledge banks. Mobile devices with internet access (cell phones and tables) afford students opportunities to access learning materials and participate in online classrooms anytime and anywhere.

This generation is constantly roaming and exploring all avenues of electronic media in search of information , answers, curiosity, and entertainment.

Dennis,
Very true - how can instructors maximize that desire in their instructional design?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We have used this within our diagnostic process expressing the fact to use all tools available to solve the concern. In review of our lab tasks we share our results where the information was found.

Dennis,
Can you clarify what you mean by "used this" specifically? It sounds helpful :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students research system operations and diagnostics using manufacturers sites, various search engines, and forums to support their diagnostic process. Also you tube has helped with so many video support links from manufacturers showing operations and functions. With this they can build their SSCC chart Symptom System Component(s) Cause.

Good points. So, then, the information is not from one perspective but has varying insights and applications which, in turn, not only expand the students' knowledge base but also increases their holistic understanding of the issues.

A nomadic learner refers to a student (Y Gen) who is mobile and can access information from anywhere at any time. This type of learner thrives from learning in a climate where information is accessible at all times. This challenges instructors to create meaningful learning opportunities while the student is with them and when they are not.

Paula Bordenkecher

Paula,
Yes, and instructional designs must remain flexible and customizable in order to maximize the nomadic opportunities and expectations.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

They have so many ways to access information, there is no one home type of access that they rely on. It is like they are all over the place, like the nomads of old...

QUINTIN,
That is true which then also means that their expectations are for continual access.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students today must be available to family and friends at all times. This means that they will have electronic devices that use the latest technology in order to stay informed and in contact with people that are important to them. Students also want to be able to surf the internet and do on-line coursework with hand-held devices as well as a laptop computer. Having the capability to be mobile and on the move is why they are called nomadic learners.

Linda,
Very true - life is fully connected for most people in western societies. This means that there is an expectation of connectedness even in a learning environment as well. Mobile connections help maximize flexibility and connectivity

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Well, when I think of the term "nomad" I think of a wander; someone that does not have a home. So then to equate it to today's learner, I just think that it means there are so many different areas and methods to obtain information to learn from they have no singular methods that they "have" to use anymore. Like when I was a kid in school, we HAD to use encyclopedias to complete research papers; then as I got a little older microfiche was introduced. Today, students have so many references and resources readily available to them that they can use SMEs, books, videos, etc to complete their work. They can wander all over the world wide web!!

Mia,
Good points! Yes, the barriers of location and time are now non existent unless we still impose those lines from an administrative or an accreditation standpoint.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Excellent comment Victor! I find most students have a great grasp for researching with technology. Our goal should be to continue to encourage this skill for creative problem solving solutions in class and out in the field.

Sandra,
Good point, however, exploring or "browsing" may lead to much information, instructors should still coach students as to how to use this information well within the context of the course.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment