Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Today's students are often referred to as nomadic learners because of the ubiquitous nature of technology. The technological framework for a student is available for them wherever they are and at any time. The term distinguishes itself from pervious types of students where learning traditionally occurred in several established areas. This restrictive model is no longer appropriate for today’s highly mobile student.

Indeed, Kavita. The technology provides mobile access and students have the benefit of engaging in learning communities that are not defined by space or conventional course confines. The challenge, of course, is for instructors to begin to understand the implications of this reality both on instructional design and course delivery.

It is important to recognize the difference between using technology as a crutch and using it as a tool. I enjoyed the emphasis placed on technology as a tool in this course. I have seen much of what you described and I’m afraid technology can easily fall into a cycle of dependence for students. The internet ushered in a possibility of endlessly expanding information, but also a narrowing of focus depending on the use. Students can easily fall into the trap technological ease and never venture past the first page of a Google search or the first Wikipedia article they pull up. It therefore must be the job of teachers to warn students of this danger and guide them to utilizing the full benefit of technology.

Hi Kavita,
Yes, and often because instructors do not make the necessary changes to their methods and delivery choices, technology remains sidelined and perceived as "busy" work to students rather than a tool that helps their learning process succeed.

Well, as the materials illustrated, there are so many ways to go about learning today. I for one am appreciative of all this "nomadic" capability and embrace it fully. I guess I was broken in when I was finishing my degrees and got used to it then. Things have improved so much also over the years and continue to do so. I think one of the challenges that really helped me to embrace this fully was when I was tasked with the development of an online course. It was a great learning experience and really made you think about the styles of learning, etc.

One of the biggest challenges I face (believe it or not) is getting some of the students I have to embrace all of this as I have. Many are not generation Y people and they are technology challenged. They come from the linear school and have never learned about multiple intelligences or other learning styles. They are very satisfied sitting there waiting to be spoon fed by the all mightly powerful Oz (the teacher). They await the wisdom and want to sit silently taking notes and regurgitating something that was fed to them like little birds after feeding time (or maybe that is the Mommy bird, you know what I mean).

I work them into it by explaining what I am doing and how these new student-led models work. Some are never convinced because of their old ways but most like the idea that they get to think for themselves and incorporate their lifes lessons into the class. I love being more of a facilitator and not so much of an expert. I would say that 80% or so of my students like it as well. Who does not want ownership of their work or their school or their life? Only lazy people that want life handed to them to begin with I would say (my opinion only). These are not the people that will succeed in the college classroom of today any how. So my parting message is "adapt and overcome or sleep with the fishes". :-) I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Yes, Bryan, there are changes needed for every aspect of teaching and learning - changes for teachers, course content, mediation tools, and student response and ongoing work. The teaching and learning process today is much more complex than it ever was and requires a mindset of ongoing learning for both teacher and students. Good points...

There are so many good points in this discussion! The term "nomad" does seem a bit out of place, then again, I can totally understand the analogy or correlation. What I sometimes see, is that there is a disconnect between us being social creatures in the real world vs. isolating ourselves in the virtual world.

Yes, the internet and other technologies do bring people together, I said that myself in another thread. However, I do see some students, people in general, that become less social because they don't have to interact with anyone other than their online clans, if they choose not to.

I marvel at my daughter who many times will not talk on the phone but text. In fact you can hardly go anywhere without seeing someone with head down, fingers flying over the small keyboard on their cell or PDA. So yes, they are moving from virtual place to place, but in some respects they are "staying in their comfort zone" as someone pointed out above. They don't look up and strike up a conversation, or even notice the person sitting right next to them. They don't seek out new or varied experiences online, but stay right where they've been and tend to frequently be.

While I love the internet and related mobile technologies, I believe we as instructors have an obligation to help students achieve a balance between utilizing the resources as "tools" as someone called it, versus the "crutch." The crutch is a dangerous thing. It adds to the nomadic quality if not channeled through our academic efforts to teach how to use the tools for research as well as entertainment. For socializing, as well as giving them new ideas to discuss, or questions to pursue in real time.

When I have my Cognitive Psych students do a literature review, I do teach them HOW to search and gather sources, which doesn't just encompass typing in www.google.com and hitting enter! I often encourage them to interview live people in person or by phone, as well as online. The diversity in perspectives is invaluable when they put the process together from the "bottom up."

Like anything, too much of it can be a bad thing, but I love it too much to say there is no potential to connect people and bring about experiences that might not otherwise be attainable for teachers or students. But I don't want them to climb so far to the other end of the spectrum that they dilute their live social abilities and remain nomads in the world wide web. Teaching them to discern when to use which approach is critical thinking and analysis at its best, in my humble opinion.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to do a study on the structure and function of the real live nomad brain, compared to someone who has sequestered themselves and is now an online hermit/nomad of sorts. I often wonder what brain structures, neural pathways and cognitive functions we are influencing and changing as a result of bringing more and more online/technology into our academic arena.

Sorry if I got a little off topic! :o)

The term "nomad" means "wanderer", or essentially anyone that continually goes from place to place with no permanent locale. This generation of students, comparative to previous generations, are considered "nomadic" because they too wander attempting to find a comfort zone that fits their educational needs. In the past, a student would enroll in a college or university, then stay there for their entire 4-year program and never transferring, for the exception of students who come in from junior colleges.

However, with so many educational options becoming available today, students are moving from place to place taking courses they need that fit their needs in this busy world we live in. Most people are still relatively loyal to their single school, but many others have decided to move on and choose blended learning with both the online and classroom formats so they are able to get their education while working full-time or participating in other daily activities.

And even then the challenge is that you cannot please everyone when designing a course that meets the needs of those in the course.

If they don't like what they're receiving, then they'll keep moving until they do.

Yes, which is why moving away form the teacher- source type of model to student-led will put the responsibility back on to the student to meet their own needs or at least do all they can in the process.

Yes, perhaps one day, Donald, degrees/programs of study will be customized not only within institutions but across institutions more freely so that the strength of any program can be selected by the students, not packaged by the institution. That would be interesting...

Good discussion, Theresa. There are current studies in the area of cognitive science that examine exactly what you're referring to here...yes, there are differences to the ways in which people think, due to new technology. I also agree, however, that we do well to keep students within the continuum of social progression so that learning can be well situated in social interaction and application.

Students today have grown up with IPods, blackberrys, cell phones, internet in the home, and social networking. The nomadic learner is the result of having access to unbridled information and accessibility to information and others be they students or friends.

The tecnology created the nomadic learner beacuse the ability ti acquire infromation at any time any where is becoming common place.

Yes, the sense of mobility is very much behind this title for today's learners It also means mobility in how learning communities are set up and sustained, which is more difficult for teachers to really grasp and integrate into their teaching methods.

Kavita, I really like your point related to the cycle of dependence... and I worry that the next generations of students are not getting enough practice, in terms of writing the English language, because they are using the abbreviated form that they use for texting, etc.

Mike Crowley

Students today have so many more resources to draw from to receive information and interact. Interaction today is in real-time, as opposed to researching for hours via card catalogs, or microfiche, or waiting another 2 weeks because someone else has checked out the book you need for research from the library.
We only dreamed of having the information "right now". Waiting for information is (thankfully) a thing of the past. As for instructors, this helps us as well in that we no longer just have to have a single term paper, but can deliver projects along the way to help facilitate learning on the subject because students dont have to spend so much time generating the research.

Great points. Tracy. The immediacy of the technology has revolutionized teaching and learning forever...and the potential to maximize student responsibility for the learning process.

Yes, Michael, many teachers are troubled by this reality. I would suggest, however, that there are various forms of language use and we as teachers must demonstrate and inform around those uses...including digital forms of the language.

Hey I think that the access to information is the key here. I was a library freak growing up, Why? Well it was the only thing we had then. No internet even existed. No students of all ages can me mobile and even sit in a coffee show and research projects. My niece texts a couple hundred a month and I can safely say if she channeled that energy a little more into reading things for class she would be doing much better in school. But access to information is a huge thing in educating students from 1st grade through college.

Great points, Guy. I like what you say about channeling the energy :) The thing is, what do you think teachers could do to create situations of learning within which students are required to use the same sort of energy in research, organization and application of the information to real contexts of use? Access to information is key, as you say, as is the design of assignments and coursework for students.

Sign In to comment