Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It seems it would be a challenge to get everyone in class back on point if all were allowed to begin independent research across the board. In planning for integration of this concept I presume there would have to be a specific time frame. My added concern is the different capapbilities of students within a class of 25. Slower vs advanced in an accelerated course.

Carlos,
Good points! So, the instructional design of your class should be flexible enough for directed work, independent work, group work, research, etc. etc. The more ways in which information is presented and processed, the more every student will be able to engage.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I am in full agreement that in students expectations for more virtual interactive multimedia rich classrooms. The students contributions greatly enhance the learning spaces 'customization' which expands not only their knowledge but that of other learners as well. The instructors role as a facilitator is to keep the content on track in order for the student to grasp the concepts being taught. Donna

Yes, agreed. But the instructor still has the responsibility to give the students the foundations necessary to recognize good information from biased or false information of which there is an abundance on the internet. Critical thinking and foundational knowledge.

The original "nomads" roamed or wandered an area in search of sustenance (food, shelter, water) for survival. In today's world, the new generation of nomads within the education context are those students who are not rooted in one particular locale or physical location (the classroom, an arena, an office) to learn. Today's students pick up information from wireless and mobile connections in a global learning environment. In this way, many inputs and outputs are available. The process of learning is different for each student and changes depending on their virtual "social space." Students can learn from another student halfway around the world by simply logging in to a Facebook page, a Wiki-room, a chat, or any number of virtual social media networking spaces.

Everything is always changing and education in the new technology-driven environment is no exception. I wonder what the future holds for students of the nomadic learning culture!

I find that students need time to get used to the online environment. I have students in my online courses that haven't taken a course in over twenty years. They are anxious and concerned about the virtual classroom. I often receive many pre-session emails from them asking for help. I find that it's important to make sure all information is made available on navigating the course. In our online university we offer an introductory course to help these non-traditional oftentimes older students get acquainted with the learning management system.

The first time for everything is always a challenge!

Lindsey,
I totally agree - now with multitudes of information sources, critical awareness and analysis is more important that ever.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Nancy,
I believe that MOOCs are the first step in what is next - open and continuous connectivity and access to education :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Nancy,
I agree that every learning environment must be understood by the students if they are to be successful: this includes course navigation and flow; learning objectives; available resources; teacher support; assignment expectations etc. This must be understood whether online or on ground. Sometimes, however, actual online tools may be unfamiliar as well to students and more time is needed to learn those.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The nomadic learner is flexible because they are not rooted in space and are connected. Thus, the nomadic learner demands learning and interaction which can be assessed electronically through their mobile devices i.e. Ipads, lap tops, Kindles, cell phones, etc.

Thus, today, students want to have the option to learn anytime, anywhere, and as teachers, we have to take this into account and use these technologies to further engage students in the learning process.

I agree, Victor, students need to become self-directed learners and resourceful because we will not always be there to assist them in finding the answers to their research questions. They need to learn how to do this effectively on their own. Even with information at the click of a mouse or swipe on a screen, they must learn what information is valuable and credible and what should be avoided like Wikipedia and bias websites.

I agree, Ileana, that some students lack sound critical thinking skills to evaluate, analyze, synthesize, and problem-solve. I spend a lot of time in class discussing bias and generalizations as well as using sources to illustrate these type of statements. The focus of my course is on logical argument and creative problem-solving. I tell students that the ability to think critically is a valuable academic, professional, and personal skill. We need more creative problem solvers to reduce prison overcrowding, reduce poverty, improve public schools, stop cyberbullying, improve our economy, prevent juvenile delinquency, and so on.

Professor Armes

Cynthia,
Good points - so the term really refers to both the expectations of the students and the capability and functionality of the technology. New technology develops as users look for changes, so the more we use the technology in learning environments, the more we will influence its form and use to suit those needs.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Nomadic is referring to the fact that todays students are always connected wirelessly and no longer take notes on paper. As teachers we need to be able to meet them in the virtual space that they reside in and develop curriculum that reflects and uses this. If done well the possibilities are endless.

zena,
Good points. Yes, continual connectivity and open access are the central characteristics of the expectations of new learners.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

This generation has so much information available to them at any given point in time. They are nomadic in that they can retrieve information from various sources at any time. It's important to bring this technology into the classroom in order to keep students engaged.

I think we all can agree that this generation of students, even older ones, are very mobile. Although they are participating in organized courses, they are able to contribute and learn from virtually any location in the world. We are seeng the proliferation of wireless and mobil devices being leveraged effectively in this area.

Kathy,
Yes, students mostly now expect there to be no constraints or barriers to learning as well as open access and multi-device access. Mobile technology has totally changed the scope of education.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

David,
Good points! Yes, mobility has changed everything.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The textbook answer is that they have access to lots of information.

Really, they roam around different areas of input and their attention spans for any given input method are very short. They also trade ideas with one another like traveling traders, and sometimes they buy snake oil instead of real cures for ignorance.

I find this group especially challenging as their ideas of respect and value are skewed from the traditional models. It takes a lot more work to engage this group, but it is actually pretty satisfying when they do engage.

Sign In to comment