Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The term nomadic learner is utilized because there are no boundaries. The student is not actually wandering in the standard definition of the term, but he/she can utilize information from wherever he/she is and usually anytime the learner chooses.

Bill,
Yes, the constraints of the physical environments are non-existent and connectedness is ubiquitous.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Nomadic learners are the younger generations of today and tomorrow using mobile technologies for entertainment and socialization. These learners are accustomed to being continuously on the move while having all information at their fingertips at all times. These new generations of learners do not see technology as something foreign. They readily accept technology and consider technology to be part of their lives. As learners move from one location to the next, they want to use the infrastructure in the different locations to access information upon demand.

Christina,
Interestingly...they also don't use the word "technology" to mean the same thing as my generation would. It simply is the use they describe.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think they are referred to as nomadic because they don't have to get their information in one settled spot like a traditional college campus. Instead they can move all over to receive their information/education because they have access to the internet. To demonstrate that point, I'm currently completing this online course in my car while driving from Delaware to Virginia! My wife is driving. Not me. :)

I also thought calling students nomads was such an interesting term because it made me think of hunter-gatherers. I think that would describe a lot of the research and learning of my students where not a lot of substance is found and used...just enough to get by. Just enough to survive!

Josh,
Very true - nomadic in the sense that there may be geographical distance but also that the learning comes from a variety of sources and inputs. We used to call that "distance in time and space" but now it means even more, given the diversity of inputs and interactions.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think the term "nomadic learner" is great! It really captures the mobile and flexible learning style of today's college student. The fact that students know have the full extent of human knowledge at their finger tips at all times is shocking. However it also allows students to be mobile and flexible in their approach to learning. Therefore they are nomadic learners. As instructors we need to understand this style and adapt our modes and methods of instruction to meet their needs.

Douglas,
Great points! Yes, nomadic and increasingly mobile.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Hi Victor,

I absolutely agree that cultivating best practices for online research is one of the best skills we can teach our students. At times, it's been challenging trying to steer students away from Wikipedia and toward more credible sources. Even just reviewing some important things to look for in sources can be tremendously helpful for students. For example, with certain fast-changing fields, it's extremely relevant that the publication date is listed, as well as the author's name, credentials, professional experience, educational background, etc.

Edward,
One suggestion would be to outline "level" or "tiered" research. First level: general information (Wikipedia could already be identified in this along with other information sources); second level: critical comparisons; third level: applied ideas. This teaches the various levels of research as well as helping student recognize the uses of different sources. I have added this to the Teachers Lounge forum I facilitate. Please respond there with additional comments or suggestions to this outline. Thanks!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Nomadic generation is known for having no fixed home and moving accordingly to the seasons from place to place in search of food, water, and grazing land.

Since the breakdown of family and the slowing of the economy, I believe our new 'nomadic learners' are adapting in the best way that they can. And technology is allowing them to work, live, and go to school at various locations at varying times.

The 'Nomadic Learner' uses his laptop, Ipad, &/or smart phone to work at his office, on the bus, outside at a park, OR at a coffee shop to complete his course work. "Any time, any place - whatever works!" is the theme of the Nomadic Learner!

Lauree,
Yes, and those "boundary less" expectations mean that we, as instructor, must accommodate these expectations within our classes through open-ended projects and wikis etc.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The term "nomadic", as it applies to today's generation of students, refers to the increasing reliance and use of mobile technology for communicating and exchanging information. Most of today's generation "talk" exclusively by text messaging on their cellular phones. The mobile phone has evolved into a multi-purpose device that most of today's students cannot live without. From information gathering on the internet, communicating with others, to just pure entertainment with videos and games, the mobile phone has become an increasingly important avenue to connect with today's generation. Using these devices gives today's student the ability and flexibility to stay "connected" with others from just about anywhere on this earth.

Lanny,
Great points! Yes, I agree. The expectations of today's students are increasingly to be fully connected and have direct access to information, other students, and instructions at all times and from anywhere.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

They prefer to learn online and on their cell phones and anywhere and anytime. I am Gen X and I also like to be Nomadic. It is freeing.

Penelope,

Good points! I would guess you also like your learning to be "on point", efficient, and engaging so these impact the overall design and delivery as well.
Dr. Ruth Reynard

Picture the image of so many today walking while holding some type of mobile device and ‘typing’! Mobile technology is simply the ‘normal’ form of communication today for so many levels of ages and categories of communications. Students today use social media to share personal experiences and are therefore expecting instruction to be ‘up to date’ in these same areas of technology.

Cynthia,
Yes, always connected and always accessible - two core expectations of current students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

In today’s world, people are on the move and are demanding access to learning materials and information anytime and anywhere. At the same time, there is increasing use of mobile technology in different sectors of society to meet the needs of people on the move.

LS

LaShanta ,
Good points! Yes, the expectations of students are changing as society is changing and the ubiquitous use of technology in every area of life.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment