Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nomads wander, they do not have a true "home" or single place of residence. Nomadic learners wander as well. They are at home in the classroom, on the web, on the cell phone, in a chat room, or even in a virtual reality. No-one can argue that people learn as they go, they learn from experiences that they come across in life.

The current generation learns best from life experiences, and their learning is not centered in one area - the classroom. Perhaps we should stop pretending it is.

-Chris

Excellent observations, Chris. I also think the idea of "home" itself has changed to where students don't feel drawn to anywhere in particular and will embrace any new web site, or resource that best supports their needs. This also challenges us as teachers to not even get too familiar or comfortable with one technology use :)

I think they have recognized that information no longer exists in a two-dimensional or linear world--it has become more three-dimensional and perhaps even fourth dimensional with much less formal structure. They travel to find what they need, when they need it by whatever means or technology means they have available.

I agree, James, however, how does that change your instructional design and delivery as the teacher?

I agree with Guy. There is so much social networking that is wasted time when it can be used in a more productive manner. Also, the lack of proper spelling with all the texting short cuts is starting to show up on written papers that students turn in.

So, Tom, what examples would you say are constructive uses of social networking tools in your course(s)?

I understand Mr. West's comment about hijacking the term "nomad" for applying to students, but it's inevitable that terms (especially ones what had a scientific or technical meaning) get used casually or gain alternate meanings over time.

As someone in the architecture profession, I see the same thing with the term "architect." For the purposes of ensuring proper qualifications and training, the term is intended to be reserved solely for registered architects that are qualified to design buildings. But now we see it used in many unrelated fields, such as "software architect."

Anyway, to respond to the actual questions:
I think the term applies well to young students, in a casual sense, because of their ability to "survive" (learn) in the on-the-go society of today. They communicate with friends, family, as well as teachers and students from any location. They can learn and participate in a class from almost any location in a developed/industrialized nation. And they don't just get by in this fashion - they thrive on it.

I believe James makes a good point. Students have almost reached the point of being "lazy" in their research. I believe in a lot of ways, that new technology is a reason not to make a trip to the local library. Although I can't argue its benefits, it comes with costs.

So what specifically is it about a visit to the local library do you think students lose with online tools, Jason?

I like your discussion here, Jeremy, and the examples you use. Do you think the ability/tendancy students have to move quickly and "survive" the immediate environment is maximized in most courses? How could instructors build on these new and flexible skills more effectively?

Students of generation Y are often referred to as "nomadic" due to their high usage and feeling of necessity of staying interactive and connected. Generation Y students feel the need to stay connected at all times of the day. They like to have any information they need at there fingertips. One causalty of this is that I find that they rely on the internet for sources of research without checking out there sources for credibility.

So, Afrodite, the challenge then for instructors is to provide students with learning opportunities to develop the kinds of skills they will need to find good information. How do you approach this problem specifically with your students?

This is on of those advances that can become a major block for student learning if it is used in the wrong way. If they use technology to shortcut to the information with out understanding it, it won't premote learning, but using it as an additional tool to grasp the information can be a great asset.

This is important for all learners with or without technology. Trying to shortcut information gathering or the learning process diminishes the experience. What strategies do you use to intervene with students who do this?

I don't think the term 'Nomadic" is descriptive of what I see. The current generation is in the instant answer age. It has made them lazy. If they can't find the answer on their own, fast, they give up and want it handed to them. They go through a computer course like it is a x-box game,clicking furiously to find a way through. I think the term 'Lost' fits some of them better. My curriculum is fixed. I can't change the web courses all I can do is to try and guide them through it better.

This is a good way to describe some students as nomads (no home). I think this generation has grown up with the ability to access information anytime, anywhere and yes learns on the fly - not always in a classroom.

Yes, Scott...using the "classroom" to represent the "home" in this analogy means that today's students are quite familiar with having no real home and referring to various contexts and communities within which to learn new ideas and concepts. Does this challenge your role as an instructor?

I couldn't agree more. We need somehow to get real words back into everyday communication for our students. Texting seeems to be kind of a secret way of communication that cut out the need for voice so people can do it on the side at a time when they should be doing something else. I'm not a fan.

It is true that a wider opportunity has been open due to going wireless and mobile, but a disadvantage has come to light in that because the answers to questions are provided without thinking through the circumstances that created the question, does not provide a true learning environment. In the automotive field trouble shooting is essential in order to complete the repair. This can only be accomplished through deductive reasoning and extensive testing.

Yes, John, the technology should support the learning process which must be driven by learning outcomes rather than tasks. How do you make sure the learning process is being supported in your classes while using technology?

Sign In to comment