Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Marie,
I would add creating your own videos to this list as well.

Shelly Crider

I agree that developers of online courses do not need to be technological wizards. They do need a good command of the basic hardware and software necessary for distance learning. Also, if there is a team that is employed to facilitate the course development process, this can help bridge the gap for the subject matter expert who is designing the course.

Shelly,

I agree. As long as they have an understanding of the material, and know how to navigate through the course effectively. I think they will be fine. Also, with time their skills will improve.

Michael ,
Nice post! It is nice to collaborate work.

Shelly Crider

LaToya,
I like how you added "their skills will improve", this will give the instructor more confidence to try more software programs as well.

Shelly Crider

While it is important to have some basic knowledge of technology, it is not necessary for an instructor to be a technological expert. It is necessary for them to be aware of the dynamics needed to make their online course a success for both themselves and students. It would be like assuming that a student will be a technological expert when they enroll in an online course.

I agree with this statement. The developers should have an instructional design background, but they don't need to be tech wizards. They should be able to understand what types of resources - animations, videos, images, etc. - can align to the lesson objectives. They should also be well-versed in other instructional design methodologies like assessment to determine the best tools to use to help institutions provide well-structured courses. They don't have to know how to create the tech resources like the tech wizards would need to know; rather, they should know how to align them to course objectives.

I agree developers should have some very good working knowledge of the learning environment and what it takes to be a good instructor. However I don't think they have to be computer geniuses to do so. They are terrific communicators and analyzers adept in developing a very efficient Online classroom capable of satisfying students and instructors alike.

Quebec,
There is a lot of help programs out there from the computer to help create a great class, but bottom line is the knowledge that you load in.

Shelly Crider

I also agree that developers do not have to be technological wizards, but as has stated they do have to have some degree of technology knowledge. In a world that is extremely tech savvy it is important for the person developing the course not be a novice.

Thanks,
Wanda

Developers do not have to be technological wizards, but it will not take long for students to figure out the course is of poor quality. Developers should seek the help of "technical wizards" when they are designing the course.

Wanda,
So true! We do live in an extremely tech savvy world!

Shelly Crider

Joseph,
It is always good to have a second set of eyes look at your course!

Shelly Crider

Hi Everyone,

I agree that developers do not need to be technological wizards. There is, of course, a baseline technological knowledge that an online course developer needs, but it really isn't any more than the knowledge needed to facilitate an online course.

I have designed a couple online courses. When I did so I was paired with a professional course developer and I was actually the subject matter expert. It really helped because it paired my knowledge of the material for the course with someone else's expertise in course structure and technology.

Best,
Brian Stout

I don't think you have to be a tech wizard, though it probably helps to have some assistance in this area to make the course more interesting. Lack of expertise can lead to lack of content, short-cuts, and generally non-engaging content. So if you're short on technical know-how, you should seek to add it somehow.

Brian,
I love the fact that you paired up with a SME! This is the best of both worlds!

Shelly Crider

Pat,
Yes, make sure that you have resources that you can pull from when you have questions.

Shelly Crider

Not technical wizards, but technically competent.

The developer would need to know how to create appropriate content, but PowerPoint can do animations and demonstrations, and that doesn't require any wizardry.

Glenda,
Great post. There are simple things non wizards can do to enhance a class.

Shelly Crider

I do not believe that developers need to be technological wizards, they do need to be saavy to the use of technology to create presentations, obtain videos and search for supporting documentation.

Sign In to comment