Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel that on-line instructors have to at least be tech savvy enough to navigate and design an atmosphere that makes the student comfortable enough to trust the instructor ability to educate them some students are more tech driven than there instructors and that makes the learning environment difficult

I agree that course developers do not have to be technical savvy but it is beneficial to the job to have some technical background or to know how to access. For this reason, if a course developer did not have technical exprience they would not have the skills or knowledge to design a course with specifications such as media, graphics, animations, video clips or amy other technological tool that may be needed or applied in the newly created platforms being used today.
Fonzette Smith-Leavell

Developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards; in fact, it is probably best if they are not. "Keeping it simple, stupid" should be the mantra. While keeping the content fresh and interesting is important - focusing on the "flash" can seriously affect the content and the learner will not achieve the desired learning outcomes.

Nanette,
I hope they are as well. Instructors are the first to be asked for help!

Shelly Crider

Fonzette,
Technology is ever changing. We as instructors need to keep up with these changes. Good point.

Shelly Crider

Peter,
Keeping is simple is a good idea, but may need more challenging tasks the higher the courses go.

Shelly Crider

I agree that we need to become Super Users of the technology. As a newbie to ISD, how do you become a super user? Read a book, take a class, study the help section, etc?

How do you typically learn about the technology you are gong to be using?

Best way to gain that knowledge would be???

I agree. If an instructor would like to develop a course there is a lot of help out there in the online platforms. BlackBoard and MOODLE rooms both have online tutorials which is where I learned to develop a course. I am not a technology expert and I have managed to develop courses that are successful. The help is there if needed to develop and implement the online courses.

Cynthia,
Hands on for me! The more you get in and try different technologies, or how to move around in your platform, the more you will soak up.

Shelly Crider

Cynthia,
It is a bit different for everyone, but for me it is hands on. There is a lot of technology out there that you can view and determine if you want to try them and most will come with a trial period. Start with YouTube! Create yourself a YouTube video of what your class will be doing. There are many videos on YouTube as well to teach you how to do this.

Shelly Crider

Cynthia,
Research and play! Find some software programs and jump in.

Shelly Crider

Matthew,
Lots of help these days! You can even find help in Youtube!

Shelly Crider

I agree but it does help if they have an understanding of the capabilities of the technology available to help them take advantage of features to be used in developing the online programs.

Andre,
So many times features are not used due to just this fact.

Shelly Crider

I do believe one needs some technological expertise before undertaking this task. For something so simple as creating a video some prior experience or knowledge is needed. Uploading and creating graphics, videos and images is not common knowledge.

I disagree.

I am not saying that you have to be a 100% technological wizard. However, it will be difficult to put together an engaging online course without technical ability. You need to find ways to engage students and that is normally done through the use of technology. You also need to know how to use the LMS as well. If you don't, you don't know the capabilities of the LMS as well.

I don't think you have to be a technological wizard, I think it is more important to know the content of your course and be able to provide the students with a valuable online learning experience than to be a technological wizard.

Michelle,
There are many videos that can help you along the way. Do not be afraid to have someone help you or review your work.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment