Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree that they do not have to be technological wizards, although I feel this term may be misleading. What does "Technological wizard" mean. My mother who doesn't own a computer, thinks I'm a technological wizard. I'm so Not. Learning as you go is also an experience. Developing resources for your own understanding and trial and error are all learning experiences for the new online course developer. I feel such satisfaction when I learn a new computer skill. I hope my students will benefit from my enthusiasm.

Mona,
Students do pick up on our enthusiasm!! Keep up the great work!

Shelly Crider

I guess the developers of the back-end do need to be technological wizards, but then those individuals need to work closely with the content experts who are not necessarily technological wizards. If the backbone of a course set is well developed, and typically been used over a period of time so that some of the kinks can be worked out, then the content experts can simply load/tweak the content and thus those individuals do not need to be technological experts. This take time though - for both the technological experts as well as the content experts - and some close cooperation, especially early on in the process.

Todd

I believe developers of online courses must have the technology to support the type of experience they want to provide to their students. In other words, the technology owners or technology providers need to be the wizards, the developers do not. Developers can utilize tools to help with course development and these tools should be user friendly.

The quick answer is yes but the long winded is no. You need an instructor to create the information; PPT, chats, discussion boards, Projects, mind maps, etc. You need a tech wizard or just technical support to learn how to insert into the eClass or online shell.
One the process is learned, you are on your way. At my school (on-ground) and online, I created at least 15 shells in the past year and a half. I am definitely not a tech wizard but tech support is on speed dial.

Todd,
I am reading collaboration in your post! I like it!!

Shelly Crider

Rose,
There are so many tools out there for us to utilize as a developer and an instructor.

Shelly Crider

Daniel,
We love our tech support!! Excellent post!

Shelly Crider

I do agree with the technology issues. Some students are very savvy and others have trouble.
As an instructor we need to make sure that we make our class easy to navagate as well as visually exciting. Have a tips and tricks folder with questions and answers on how to navigate. make it so they can print is out so they can have a hard copy.

It does help to some degree to be somewhat computer literate however one does not need to be technology wizard to design a course. There are so many resources available these days that can be used to help add content to your course, which is not difficult to navigate at all. Technology grows fast however with that comes ease of use lots of times. Upgrades always seem to come with more user friendly options to make using the devise easier and faster.

William Huber

They don't, but some tech basics makes a HUGE difference. Working at a career college where our SMEs are often faculty, who are more career professionals than "T"eachers some of their tech skills are pretty light. Makes the whole process challenging.

Jenifer,
Tech basics is very helpful. There are many videos and helpful tools out there to help instructors get the basics.

Shelly Crider

Rebecca,
Love the tips and tricks folder idea!!

Shelly Crider

William,
It helps create the class, maintain the class, and help the students!

Shelly Crider

They don't have to be expert but more they know, less issues they have. Also, technical skills are great advantage for online teachers. I would recommend instructors to be as much as computer savvy.

It is very useful. I always have toolbox folder for students too.

John,
There are always issues in a classroom with at least one student. So it is good to know your classroom.

Shelly Crider

John,
That is very helpful for the students!

Shelly Crider

I believe the developers of online courses do not have to technical wizards but somewhat expertise as well as knowledgeable of the technology that there are dealing with. When developing a course, the developer needs to make sure all the correct components are included in the course so the learners would not have any issues and difficulties navigating through the course.

Michael,
And if learners do have issues, they can ask their instructor for guidance.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment