Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Shelly,

I think developers should be experts/wizards when it comes to being technologically savvy. It is very important to for the developers to be above certified or qualified in order to design new courses or rebuild courses. In addition, it takes expertise to clone courses as well and this is done occasionally for online course developments.

Romanda Cooper

Developers are not required to be tech wizards, but it helps tremendously when you have a technical back ground. This brings ease of navigation through the database.

I agree to a point. I think that there needs to be an awareness of what is available and being able to have a certain level of comfort with the technology.

Within today's social media, there are millions of ways to learn the technology that you may not be comfortable with. I just watched a "YouTube" video about a month ago about imbedding media within PowerPoint. I also use my tablet to download all types of apps that aide in my designing of a class as well as giving demonstrations in front of a class.

Agree and disagree. The developer of an online course requires a certain level of technological expertise, but the "message" of the contents communicated in the course goes far beyond the technological aptitude of the designer.

Disagree,

The rapid advancement of technology used for learning environments often pits the student that has self taught technical skills against the wall. The technology can be limiting to the student's learning practice and thereby force the student's efficacy to diminish versus stimulating the student to develop a solid understanding of the subject through engagement. This reality exists in the practices of higher education. Every student may have different valid means for how they approach the use of the technology for input. However, those that see the technology as a convenience are more directed towards a task oriented process of attaining a grade motivated by completion versus engagement with the subject to demonstrate effective learning to earn the grade.

With this understanding, those individuals charged with constructing online interfaces for distance learning classes must be proficient in technology development skill. The online classroom technology must be developed from a pragmatic perspective.

Stacy,
Oh so true! The message goes with the student into the work place and into the customer's hands!

Shelly Crider

I agree that developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards; however, they may need some training so that they can implement the technology. The developer will have to know how to make the desired outcomes of the course media a reality by using technology. Also, they will have to know how to change or fix whatever is wrong with the course media.

Ra'kia,
Technology is here to stay and is only going to become more and more a life staple.

Shelly Crider

I agree . The most respected input to the student comes from an instuctor who can take his knowledge and make it interesting and can show how it apllies to thier lifes. Sometimes we lack the feel behind what we are trying to teach by using on line devices. Our job is to make sure we take our time to put the feeling behind what it is that we are trying to get across.

I disagree. I believe that a developer does need to be an expert. There are so many different variable that go into developing a on line learning platform.

Genieve

GENIEVE,
Each learning management system does have its pros and cons. It is nice to know a little detail on each as the students will ask you questions that you will want to be able to respond to.

Shelly Crider

I agree that it takes technology skills, but it does not require google type programming. Basic technology is required, and like anytime new, if there will be problems. Problems are made to be solved, and the resources are available usually online, or through an 800 number.

Brian,
I would like to think that if an instructor is teaching online that there is basic technology there; however, there have been times when I have helped instructors more than students!

Shelly Crider

They do not have to be experts but having a little background helps. Most of the technology can be learned as one goes although this can be time consuming.

I agree. I do think that there should be some basic or intermediate level of technology knowledge just so that the development and design phase can be less complex and quicker to develop. But, for the most part, if there is just basic technology knowledge, the development of an online course can still be achieved.

Simone,
The more an instructor is in the classroom, the more he/she will want to change things around and make the class better.

Shelly Crider

I think it depends on the Learning Management System involved. Also, a course designer can plan out the course, but a tech person can be in charge of doing all of the actual loading of the course. I have found that our particular LMS is pretty user friendly. Being able to load content myself has enabled me to learn about functionality I didn't even know existed. This has greatly improved my instruction.

what is the definition of technological expertise? they should know how to you the computer. they should be thorough understanding of how to use tools such as Ms word, excel, and PowerPoint. they should know how to use a tool similar to the snipping tool where they can take a snapshot of a particular area of he window.

If we are to avoid ineffective "electronic page turners" in our online course design (e.g., attach a PDF and instruct students to read it, or post an e-text and direct students to click the "Next" arrow between pages), we must be educated in the effective use and implementation of various media. There are plenty of options available to the course designer, but using only audio or just video/animations or just reading materials may limit the learner's ability to learn. In other words, I think we must always begin with the learner in mind. The technology is just a tool.

If we pride ourselves on truly being learner-centered in our instructional design, we should strive to incorporate a variety of media and techniques. For instance, keep in mind the different learning styles - auditory, visual, and kinesthetic - as described here: http://sunburst.usd.edu/~bwjames/tut/learning-style/.

Additionally, where quiz and exam design in concerned, we should strive to maintain a connection between the course objectives and desired outcomes as they relate to typical learning domains: Cognitive, Psychomotor, and Affective. This may help with that: http://classweb.gmu.edu/ndabbagh/Resources/IDKB/tests.htm.

Once these foundational needs are analyzed for a specific learner audience, then the design/development/implementation of the course can include only the most effective techno-tools that will meet their needs. Of course, "most effective" is ultimately determined in the Evaluation phase of ISD.

In this way, over time, the course designer follows the learner's lead, and thereby (hopefully) gains the distinct technological expertise needed to create an effective (and continuously-improving) course of instruction.

Dan

Andrea,
Knowing the functionality allows for more instruction for the students!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment