Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

tom,
Good point!!! Technological expertise today may not be technological expertise tomorrow!!!!

Shelly Crider

Dan,
I love when we share resources!!! Thank you Dan

Shelly Crider

Playing "King Soloman " here, I'll advance the idea that while you do NOT have to be a certified computer expert to do this sort of thing, it is good to know what it is that you want to have, and THEN either learn how to do it your self, or at least have the resources (such as a very patient IT person) who can help you develop what you want and make sure it works for your Students.

I agree that developers of online courses do need to be tech savvy. It is the designers of the courses that do not. I can successfully design a course and upload to Blackboard or e-college, but it is the developers who make that instructional design come to life by adding the multi-media or visual aspects to my course. They are also the ones who will be responsible for ensuring the smoothness of the course (integrity and structure) that will enhance the student's learning environment.

Well, to add to what others have said, I think it depends. I think that having a good working knowledge and comfort with the technology really helps. I think being intimidated by it can cause some bumps in the early offerings of the course.

David,
Exactly King! Most online instructors will always be online learners, so if you do not know everything about the LMS you are using.....does not mean you cannot learn!

Shelly Crider

My experience seems to indicate that the more familar the developer is with the technology being used in the structure and the LMS that the better the course will be for the student to access and use. In addition, the more experience the developer has with online course, in both, use and development will have a very significant impact on the quality and useability of the course. So, the developer does not have to be a technology wizard, but does need to be familar and experienced with the technology being used on the LMS.

Ron,
Even the most experienced developer will need to tweak a course along the way!!!

Shelly Crider

It depends on the type of course you are teaching, and what your role is in developing the course. I recently worked as a content provider for an online Illustration course. In that role I did not need to be that much of a technological wizard, but instead had to provide assignments and course content that was relevant to the course. Basically i provided information and knowledge gained through my experience as a working freelance illustrator. The real technical wizards were the guys I was working with who turned the content into multi-media presentations for the students to access online.

I also have taught web design and Photoshop classes where the nature of the course required the instructor to be rather technologically savvy with the software they are teaching. But I would suspect that what is really important is the instructor has a mastery of the subject matter in the course.

Anthony,
Good point. There are some classes that can be created very quickly without too much technology.

Shelly Crider

I feel the developers must have some technological skills. However, I would not say they must be a "wizard."

Most learning institutions have some sort of "IT" or "tech support" position. Or a specific person for the development/maintenance of the site.

Therefore, (if this position exists) the instructor, or developer, can type up the whole layout of the class (the Course Design Specification) and have assistance with the online placement.

I also believe these online learning websites should be just as easy for an instructor to navigate as it is for the students. Example: the ability to copy and paste assignments/quizzes/etc. from one course to another. I have this ability and each time I start the course over with new students, I only have to change a few things such as dates. Rather than re-inputting all of the assignments, quizzes etc. (Of course, I do update content when necessary.)

Kelly,
There must be a nice balance of knowledge so that the instructor can also help students.

Shelly Crider

Ron's comment is right on.. I do think a good layperson's knowledge of technology and resources that are available can make the difference between a boring chore of a course and an interesting, engaging one.

For example, I use Slideshare for powerpoints where you can embed a YouTube video, or create an audio track to accompany a powerpoint, which beats giving people a written copy of a guest lecture.

I believe that a course developer with advanced knowledge of technology can create more comprehensive courses than a developer with little technological knowledge. A developer with technological knowledge can leverage the technologies that are best suited for different courses and students.

I agree they don't have to be wizards,but having some technological skills would be very helpful.

Dwight Colston

I have experienced this both as a student with an instructor who did not have the proper technical training, and as an instructor myself who is a technological wiz. I believe that you do not have to have or be a technological wizard, but understanding tech will give you an advantage. In the online classroom we need to rely on tech and the more you know and understand the better advantage I believe you have!

I agree that developers of online courses do not have to be tech wizards but they do need to be tech savvy. There are html editors built in to most, if not all, modern interfaces. The developer will still need to know tech basics such as how to upload files, download files, add links, file management etiquette as well as basic typing skills without falling back on the "hunt and peck" method.

dwight,
We all need technology skills no matter what career choice we go into. This is helpful for instructors as well as students. Good post.

Shelly Crider

Jeremy,
Understanding is the bottom line. We want our students to understand the content so we as instructors need to relay that to the student.

Shelly Crider

They do not need to be, but the higher the comfort zone with technology the more effectively it will be used.

Sign In to comment