Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Shlomo,
We do need to have some good, solid computer knowledge.

Shelly Crider

Jennifer,
There are course developers groups that you can become involved with to help you if this is of interest to you.

Shelly Crider

Gemma ,
I am self-taught as well! There are many times you learn just as much from something that does not work as something that does.

Shelly Crider

Technological experience is only necessary in that it allows the designer to know the limits of what he or she can include in the online course. Typically designers are not the IT experts anyway- they partner with SMEs in IT to help implement the online course.
The designer can come up with the content, objectives, learning activities, evaluations, etc... They understand adult learning principles and motivating factors and learning styles. It's rare they would also be the IT guru as well. Once the design ideas are there, you bring in a technology wizard to answer the questions, "can i really do all of this and if not, what can I do instead?" Collaboration and partnership.

I guess I would have to agree. I think it is more important that you are a subject matter expert than a technology wizard. However, I do think you have to be familiar with the platform and have strong basic computer skills. I wish there was more collaboration between those instructors who are "tech-savvy" and those who could use some help. Often in the online environment we are very isolated and aren't interacting and learning from our peers.

Natalie,
Collaboration and partnership....two of my favorite words!!

Shelly Crider

I would have to disagree. As the technology advances in the industry also needs to be used in the classes. This will make sure that the learners will be able to use the same technology once they graduate. If the courses do not keep up with the growing technology then the learners will not be able to work in the fields that they have chosen.

Indeed, the developers of online courses do not have to be, nor should they be expected to be, "technological wizards." They must be proficient enough to manipulate the system that they are put in front of in order to efficiently and effectively deliver their knowledge on a particular subject to their students.

The onus of being a "technological wizard," instead, falls onto the architects of the software that is being utilized for eElearning by a particular institution. A poorly crafted interface, confusing and broken links, non-descriptive tags and tabs, these are oftentimes beyond the instructors control and are as likely to create an inefficient online learning environment as poorly conceived and executed course content.

Yes I agree that they do not have to be technological wizards but it does help to have some knowledge of technology. I find it important to try and learn about technology to give the best class I can.

I disagree. While the term "wizard" is a bit erroneous, instructors must have full knowledge of the technology they are using to run the class. I have personally encountered instructors that misunderstand and misuse the technology within the classroom. This not only wastes their time, it is also a disservice to their students.

Kevin,
Anytime we discuss technology advances, it makes me wonder what we have to look forward to in the next five to ten years!!

Shelly Crider

Sarrah,
You do have to watch how you define "wizard"!

Shelly Crider

There needs to be a basic understanding of online methodology and the platform that is being used. Many schools have a curriculum development team that builds the material and they work directly with the platform team to blend the material.

I agree, developers of online courses do not need to be tech wizards; however, they do need to have a certain level of familiarity about how online education works and the resources available.

I agree, a developer for an online course does not really need to be anymore technologically savvy than traditional course developers. There is nothing inherently technologically advanced that has to be done rather its presenting similar content in slightly different ways.

I agree and disagree. While you do not have to be a tech wiz to be abel to develop and effective online course. You should be striving to become very familiar with the technology that your students are so much a part of. If you can develop content that interacts with tech side of things, it will appeal to the students you are trying to reach. This will make your course more interesting and the student will delve deeper into the material. The end result will produce a better understanding of the lesson.

Technological Expertise is not a requirement and is not necessary to design and develop online courses. Some knowledge of technology is required similar to a web designer. This person has to be giving instruction by an experience educator or course developer.

I agree with this statement. An online course developers need to be knowledgeable about the content and on how best to deliver it to the learners. The technological part although will be an add on, especially to allow ease of navigation through the system, it should not be necessary.

Well, true anyone can make an online class but, anyone can make a cake too. The difference is the quality of the class (or cake). Having a strong technical background helps an instructor choose the proper recording software, expertly edit content and troubleshoot student issues.

In my classes I find that there are many students that have very little technical skill. They take online courses then seem surprised that SOME technical skill is needed. Their computers are covered in viruses, they demonstrate poor folder / file management and get hopelessly lost. I spend a lot of personal time getting students caught up because they have little technical skill.

Sign In to comment