Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Daniel,
I like receiving evaluations from students to help me with changing up the class. Sometimes it works to the better and sometimes the change flops!

Shelly Crider

Patrick,
It is actually nice for an instructor to learn along the way as well!

Shelly Crider

I would agree, as an ISD you dont have to be a tech wizard. You need to be able to go through the ADDIE process to create the an online course.

Developers do not have to be technological wizards. They should however understand that not all end users will have the same level of computer experience. So the challenge is to develop courses that appeal to a wide variety of users that are able to understand content and not let delivery get in the way.

I agree that developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards. The actual implementation of the design must be supported by technological wizards.
It is important to consult with the technical support team during development of the course for ideas and feasibility of design. There may actually be better designs to achieve the desired learning activities.
The course development should be a 'team effort' with multiple experts involved. A team leader should be assigned having the most experience in ISD. One must ask the following question: Are the individuals involved in ISD experts in their respective tasks?
Of course being a technological 'wizard' would be very helpful in this process.

Ricardo,
Nice post with great insight! Understanding technology that is used in our classes is a must, but being a wizard is a plus not a must.

Shelly Crider

James,
and.....will this person be a expert in the content?

Shelly Crider

I agree that developers of an online course to not have to be tech wizards, but they must have some knowledge of technology. If the developer is not knowledgeable about the technology then it might be difficult to assume credibility.

I don't think the developers need to be "wizards" but I certainly think the person in charge of developing online material should have solid "online" computer skills. I have found that accessing basic features is pretty clear cut. However, there are some features that require a great deal of comfort navigating platforms online. A person who is confused by Facebook or uses only the most basic functions of standard programs probably would not be the best fit. I am always surprised at the number of adults in my peer group that have difficulty posting to forums or they don't realize the tools they have at right in front of them. The best person for the job should be an instructor who is comfortable and capable of successfully exploring all the features of the LMS not just the easiest.

Best,
Tanya Klatt

Hi Patrick,

I think the best combination for developing courses is a content expert (instructor) working with an instructional designer. If you have one without the other, the course can come up lacking.

Best,
Tanya Klatt

Ricardo,

I agree. I have found that sometimes the LMS has features that are not "purchased" by the college. For example, I have taught in "ANGEL" which has its own email system built in (if you purchase it). So, when grades go out the students receive an email with the grade within the LMS. However, the college downgraded and moved emails to Google. When this happened all of the built in communication features disappeared and students were lost. The developers never addressed the issue and it fell onto the instructors lap. If the developers don't take in account the features they are purchasing and planning accordingly for changes and updates, it can be a huge navigational nightmare for students who are not tech savvy.

Best,
Tanya

Tanya,
Good point on the "right fit".

Shelly Crider

I agree, most of the technology has been worked out. The developer would do better as a project manager to insure that tasks are kept on track and that the course development has the right assets.

Shelly-

It would seem that more often than not the developers should be pretty well versed in technology. I am sure that there involves a group with a vision of the classroom but there needs to be a group that can take that vision and make it into something real for the students through the use of audio, visuals, animation and graphics. Furthermore, they must be able to troubleshoot issues that may arise during the development of the classroom.

Would you agree?

Leti Ramirez

Ted,
Project manager....I like this analogy!!

Shelly Crider

Leti ,
If an instructor does not know how to troubleshoot their own class, it will show through when students ask.

Shelly Crider

I also believe that you don't have to be a tech wizard, but you do need to understand the basics of computers and applications. Even typing or navigating the web can be overwhelming to some people. Have competence in online research, use of multi-media formats and basic software would be very helpful to designing an online class.

I certainly agree that developers of online courses do not need to be technological wizards, even in courses that are about technology -- although they should of course know their course content. Subject matter experts need to know the material. Developers need to understand the best way to communicate that content.

I agree with this. Collaboration among developers, SMEs, and instructional designers is very important.

Ms. Crider

I am not sure that I agree with the statement “Developers of online courses do not have to be technological wizards”. I am not sure if a developer can create the design from a conceptual perspective and have a technical person implement the design. If this is the case, then developers would not need to be technological wizards.

Debra

Sign In to comment