Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Flash cards are great tools, and the best have both pictures and words on them.

Your school must appreciate how you were willing to step in and help, Linda!

Battleship - students play in diads and students have question cards. When they his a battleship, in order to stick their peg in they have to answer a question correctly.

Liz, I hadn't tried battleship yet, but this is a good idea for a variety of learners who are analytical. I will try it.

I have learned that if you are not one of the 20% of folks that have natural artistic ability, taking time to draw anatomical parts is important. Drawing on the fly (during class time) has proven to be unsuccessful and inaccurate for me. However, when I take the time to draw my pictures prior to class, they usually are much more discernable.

I recently had each of my students write out five combining forms, suffixes, prefixes or terms. Secondly, they had to write their choice on the board and the rest of the class were able to provide the meaning, if they knew it. It was great, the entire class was involved for once.

Idi, drawing ahead of time is a good way to prep for class. sometimes I'll invite a student with artistic ability to draw for me as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Getting everyone involved is the ultimate goal in teaching. It isn't always possible, but when it is, the lesson is remembered more easily over time.

I have students create a game.
25 prefixes
25 suffixes
25 combing forms
25 whole words
Directions how to play

I have the student pick any of the terms/words/word parts they want. But they have to use all of the above. Develope a game and present it to the class. After everyone has presented their game I collect them. I grade them on creativity and if it contains all the required parts. Then I pick one class and we play the games. However, a student may not play the game they created. Students love it. They talk about funny or hard someones game is or how they wish they would of thought of that.

This is a terrific way to build ownership and student responsibility for learning. Keep up the good work!

I have used a box or bag & placed medical terminolgy questions in the "holder". Students draw a question, read out loud & have 30 seconds to answer & then if not able to answer correctly another student gets an oportunity answer & gain candy. I buy a huge bag of candy, like smarties for correct answers.

Competition works to motivate students to participate. As long as they feel a sense of accomplishment in the end, it is a successful approach.

I have used a wide variety of things in the past (when I was a new teacher) but don't do these as much as I used to. I think I will begin to reincorporate all of the techniques discussed in not only med term but the other class I teach as well.

I really like this idea, because everybody can take part in it, but no one is singled out. Plus the learning and retention potential is extremely high. No better way to remember something than to research it and question others about it!

I'm glad this has brought you back to some ideas you have previously tried but now have an experienced view and can adapt so that they are successful teaching tools.

I enjoy using Post it notes along with the index cards as part of my teaching Medical Terminology.
It seems to help them more on Memory games,

Linda, these inexpensive tools are useful for a variety of activities that involve students.

The whole brain method is such a simple concept that I've never tried. It brings all learning styles together & gives all students a chance to try the other styles to see what will work best for them.

I have created crosswords, and used DVD games. Mostly used games for the review sessions. Way that I reinforce information is by summary and using the information in critical thinking exercises.
Do a lot of drawing to reinforce ideas and words

Like the idea of Charades - especially after seeing the Jerry Seinfield episode with Kramer and his STD

I hope this method is helpful to you, I have found much success using it with a variety of learners. It crosses many barriers, but makes it easier for learners to retain information.

Sign In to comment