Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The kinesthetic and visual aspects of charades is a wonderful method for teaching content.

I have used a "family feud" type of game in the past. I divide the class into 2 teams and the first team must name as many terms as they can think of that relate to a particular part of the body (this works well for the skeletal system). If they get three answers wrong, then it is the other team's turn. The team who can guess the most terms wins a prize.

Isn't it amazing how game show formats work? This sounds like a perfect way to marry fun and review of terminology.

I have used the game pictionary on request of a student, and we centered it around medical terms. This has always been a lot of fun for the class. But I now have a whole bunch of great new ideas to try. Thank you
Diane

You are welcome.

I have had my students play pictionary in the past with terms they are studying. They seem to really enjoy it.

Jennifer, using Pictionary and other adult type games is a popular and effective teaching method. Continue to incorporate strategies that work.

I have developed numerous activities and games to use in my classes, and I am always looking for new ideas to try. I have used a modification of the Whole Brain Organizer when teaching a concept that involves memorizing steps. I keep each drawing simple and whenever possible, I use humor or outrageous ideas for my pictures. After discussing each box (step in the process being learned), I erase the pictures and point to the empty box. Many of my students will draw a grid on their tests to help them recall the images, and I've found the activity to be quite successful for all types of learners.

I plan to use the Draw a Term activity in Med Terminolgy. I like the suggestion to put the students in groups and appoint someone to be the illustrator.

All of the activities in this module have been excellent. Any of them can be modified as needed to meet the needs of the learners.

I'm glad you lied the activities and I know when you try them, you will get good results.

I have used a spicynodes presentation to go over my class syllabus. The students found it every interesting and fun to see, and it aided in making certain that they fully and correctly understand what was expected of them in the course.

hangman works well for me

Larry, I had not heard of spicynodes, but I did an internet search and discovered what a great tool they are. Thanks for being visual and conceptual in presenting your syllabus.

You're welcome. The students really enjoy the spicynodes presentation.

Larry

I like using a skeleton for Musculo/skeletal terms. I can take it apart and show each peice individually as I teach allowing for a good visual. Giving examples of how some terms can have common eveyday usage is a big help for students to remember.

I do have an art background so I really enjoy adding this element to my classes. I have a game that I call the Skeletal puzzle. I have made 6 skeletal puzzles (the length approx. 4-5 feet)that consists of separate bones. Students get together in groups "as student CSI's" and put the skeletons back together correctly. When each group has completed their skeleton they take them apart and as they put them together again they quiz each other on the names of all the bones. Class really enjoys this activity and it helps when it comes to identifying the bones.

I have used a game similar to Jeopardy to enhance student learning

Cynthia,thanks for sharing your wonderful teaching idea. I can't wait to try it!

Debbie, I agree that relating terms to everyday usage is a big help to students. I like the take apart skeleton idea, also.

I use playdough sometimes in my class. I ask them to make organs from it and then they have to tell me its combining form and make atleast 5 medical words with the combining form and the rest of the class has to give the medical words meaning. Always got a positive feedback.

Besides the memory games, powerpoints, and puzzles, I have used games that are from our childhood. We have played hangman, tic tac toe, and card matching.

It's funny to the students because these are childhood games but I think it still helps them retain the medical words we are studying.

Sign In to comment