Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We regularly use crossword puzzles for terminology homework. The students seem to enjoy them!

in doing some of these activities i find that you can assess the student to see exactly where they are with learning the terms. And also their learing styles. And from there I can know what is needing in helping them find other ways to learn the terminology and how to retain the information.

I have used the make me a match game for other science courses. The students find this as a great way to review material and I can use it as an informal assessment to see how well they may do on an upcoming test. I also get an idea of areas they may not be strong in and need more review.

erin, thank you for sharing how you use the make me a match game.

Michele Deck

I have used Scrabble game of only the terms which were studied. For example if we were to study local anesthetic then the only addition to the scrabble game could be those words associated with local anesthetic. I had to provide about 3 games in order to accommodate the entire class.

I have used crossword puzzles and word search puzzles. The crossword puzzles are a fun way to help students practice and retain medical terminology

I use flashcards. Students are given word lists each week. The lists are composed of combining forms, prefixes and suffixes. Each is listed in a different color. Then the studnts individually or in small groups put the word parts together to form medical terms.
We start out just learning the work parts so going through the word part reinforces the lecture portion of the class.
Then as we build words the students realize they are learning med terms and get escited about learning.
Serena

serena, thank you for giving us your lesson methodology. This allows students to build and reinforce knowledge.

Michele Deck

Drawing and audio visual activities are the most effective and fun in my class.

Diego, it is smart to personalize your classes with these types of activities because you see success with them.

Michele Deck

I like cross word puzzles because it appeals to many people who like challenges and problem solving.

That a good point if students are not challenged then they loose interest.

I have been using crossword puzzles for several semesters now in my course. I find that this challenges students more. At first, they think it is very elementary, but then change their tune shortly after and state they really like it.

I have not thought of using these for fillers between test time. Great idea. Med term is always one of those classes in which someone will get done in 10 minutes and someone else will take 50 minutes. Do you give any type of credit when using the puzzles this way?

jessica, you can give a mall cumulative extra credit for completed puzzles turned in for all students.

Michele Deck

I use cross word puzzles as an extra review time for preparing for their final exam in pharmacology. I put them in random groups of two so they can work together. Sometimes I make it a race to finish first and offer special prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. I give everyone a participatory prize too. The students enjoy it and it gives them a good review as indicated by their great grades on their final. It also promotes teamwork.

therese, thank you for sharing this idea. Pharmacology is a challenging topic to teach.

Michele Deck

Students love to compete with one another and "show off" their knowledge. I use several of these activities in my classroom regularly, and am still amazed how engaged the students become. Retention definitely improves.

We have success by placing our students in small groups and doing games like jeopardy but with the questions based off the content material. The students love it!

Michael, I do believe that some learners think that they could win on the actual show of Jeopardy. By using our own content as Jeopardy questions, they are able to learn and review while living this dream. Jeopardy works!

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment