Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I liked the crossword puzzles especially for medical insurance terms. Students get to know the most important definitions by looking up the terms to fill in the puzzle. I also like word search as well with a word bank. Sometimes I combine the two to reinforce the definitions.

I think extra credit is a good idea for this type of activity.We should reward students who are doing extra work, it motivates them to excel.

Anzhela, using a variety of extra credit activities will enhance student retention of materials.

Michele Deck

After looking at the exercises in this section, I can clearly see value in all of them. I feel in particular that the word search puzzles could be useful in a variety of ways. They would certainly fulfill the stated objective of providing additional practice and practical time utilization for those students who may be waiting for others to finish tests, but they can also reveal issues with dyslexia and differences that can arise when English is a second language for student.

For example, in English the word "pneumonia" is in Spanish spelled "neumonia", or is a different word, "pulmonia" which means the same thing. This is certainly not the first case in which initial consonants of words are silent, yet critical to the spelling of the word.

Getting students used to medical jargon is challenging enough, and may be made more difficult when the student’s linguistic background is not English.

As for dyslexia, Word Searches can certainly be a little more confusing for those with that disorder.

On the upside, they can certainly stimulate enhanced interest and a more fun approach to solving linguistic riddles.

Dr. Jonathan French

By participating in these activities, the students are able to build on their knowledge base which should be evident in the activities they hand back in and future activities that they should see themselves gaining more speed and ability to answer without having to look up the answers. So the feedback should be evident to themselves and to the teacher in their increased ability to recall the correct answers. I know personally how excited I became as I was more aware on a daily basis of increasingly more of the medical language that I knew and understood.

Jonathan, recognizing which methods are suited to which learner is an important instructor responsibility. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Michele Deck

Bethanne, it is important that the students realize they are building their vocabulary along the way, even if it is a slow process.

Michele Deck

Haven't had much luck with crosswords, but the others have better response...

I find the crossword puzzle to be a very good activity. Help out students with learning medical terminology and retention. Thanks.

My students enjoyed the football game and relay race. I have very long lectures (9-4) and these activities helped keep them engaged. Thanks!

Stacy, that is a long time to keep students engaged and connected. I'm glad these two interactive learning activities have added positive results to your classes.

Michele Deck

I could provide puzzles based on the general level of the class, which would allow the majority to finish it with some effort.

I could use the puzzles as a reinforcement to studying for quizzes, to help improve their knowledge of certain terms, as well as providing a grade. Some students are so focused on the grade that they need to know something they do will be worth it.

I would also encourage students to work in groups, which can help increase student teamwork and keep students engaged with each other.

I agree. I try use different types of games and activities for my students, and I have found that crosswords are always a class favorite.

My favorite activity is crossword puzzles done in teams. I divide my group into several teams (of equal size)... 3-6 students each. Give them all the same crossword puzzle. The first group that comes to the front of the room, has me check it and is correct earns 1 bonus point for each person on the team. They really get into this activity. By making the crossword puzzles small, no more than 20 blanks, this can be accomplished rather quickly. Once a team has won a point, they cannot win another that day, but they still continue to complete to become team of the day.

Kim, I like you "team of the day" concept. Learners want to feel good about their efforts.

Michele Deck

I agree. I use the crossword puzzles provided by the textbook/workbook. I give credit for completing them, and give the answers prior to an exam, so they may use them as a study tool.

I have incorporated both crossword puzzles and word searches into my medical terminolgy and A&P courses. the students like them. Students love competition and working in teams as well. I give the students a crossword puzzles or word search (both work well), put them in teams and make it a competition to see which team finishes first. We always read the answers out loud after they are completed to reinforce learning as well. I have recieved great feedback from students.

Elizabeth, they can serve as great exam review tools that the students themselves fill out.

Michele Deck

Lisa, getting great feedback from your students should encourage you to continue with these methods.

Michele Deck

I like the idea of using a crossword puzzle as an open book quiz. This could be a take home or in class type of assignment.

Sign In to comment