Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have always used crossword puzzles and hang man in Medical Terminology Classes. But I really like the football one now because I can create thinking questions and they will earn yards or points.This was great.

Ruth Ann, these puzzles create awareness for words, and attention to detail, both good lessons for learners.

Michele Deck

Felicia, I'm glad you like this idea and that you can incorporate it into your classes in the new year.

Michele Deck

I usually do not use word searches or crossword puzzles in my class. I never considered them worthwhile. I am so very glad you explained their benefit, because now I plan on trying them out.

I think I will try a crossword or a word search. That should be an interesting thing to help them recognize information.

Thes are some great ideas. I can't wait to try the "concentration" game in class. I used to love playing this as a child! I have used some crossword puzzles that are in the textbook, but I like the idea of having some new ones from online sofware. I also use the game "Hangman" to reinforce terminology. The students can get fairly competitive with this and it works well with a small class.

Mary , I'm so glad you like some of these suggested activities. Start with the one that is your favorite (concentration) which you can be enthusiastic about, then use hangman.

Michele Deck

I get positive feedback due to all my students enjoy having to do the activities because they realize its not so hard and the y can remember all the terms .

Yolanda, it is the results that convince students that activities can be effective teaching tools.

Michele Deck

I'm very excited to create some "make me a match" boards...i think that is going to be a great activity!

I like to use crossword puzzles for chapters that have a lot of new vocabulary words. Crossword puzzles are are a good way for a student to challenge themselves and force them to look up the words they are unsure of.

Linda, I like that you used it for chapters with many new vocabulary words. This does encourage students to look up words and spellings.

Michele Deck

Unfortunately, due to the limited time we have to disseminate the course content (I teach an accelerated program), I have not utilized these activities in the classroom; however, I have used them as a form of homework. I do like the idea of using them as fillers.

Katrina, they are reinforcers of content, so many people use them with that purpose in mind.

Michele Deck

I have given out packets containing a mixture of crossword puzzles and word searches, along with other contect, such as fill in the blank and true/false.

I generally try to have crosswords available for each unit and utilize them as filler activities or a homework activity.

Robert, I'm glad you have found success with this teaching strategy.

Michele Deck

I use these for students to earn bonus points. This then gives each student the freedom to chose. Not everyone cares for crosswords, but those that do are first to take a copy and complete it.

Caryn, I think offering these for extra credit gives your students a choice and can be a help to many of them.

Michele Deck

I have used crossword puzzels in the past, and find that they are very useful in reviewing and inforcing repetition.

Sign In to comment