Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used crossword puzzles to reenforce topics from leecture and students state they are very helpful.

The feedback is the improved quiz and test results, also games can reinforse lecture when applied to lab work.

I have used crossword puzzles before and the students really enjoyed them. I set it up with both easy and hard terms. I did it in the beginning of the quarter and it was homework. The students did not really know each other yet. I noticed the next class period that some of the students that were having trouble with the harder terms were sitting by students that they normally did not sit by. They were tag-teaming the harder terms.

Having the students tag team with peers who are not their friends creates an environment of collaboration and cooperation, two great happenings in a class.

I actually have witnessed the same thing. Students do not complete them or they do not take them seriously. Usually if they do not complete a tast that is given for homework, they receive a 0 for the assignment.

I have used students making flash cards, quiz each other then I will go around classroom quizing them. The students know if they need to study more without calling them out.

Having the student's take responsibility for what they need to review is a great strategy.

I see that with the homework assignments, I learn quickly who pays attention in class and who does not. It is easy to see who needs help from their peers.

have found flashcards to be very helpful to students and they seem to respond well to them. time that might otherwise be wasted is filled in easily.

Many reinforcement books that accompany our text books have pre-made crosswords etc. I have given them in the past to students, usually as "extra-credit."

in addition, I have used personal dry-erase boards for q&a.

I use a lot of word puzzles and cross words for my students when it comes to helping them learn. Some go crazy for them and keep asking for more and others fight it in the beginning but eventually they will start to use the as well.. Especially for test review.

Flashcards are great tools, Robbie. I find them to be even more helpful if they have a picture or visual component.

Students like opportunities to get extra credit.

Personal dry erase boards is a great low tech tool that has many uses. Thanks for sharing your idea, Jason!

Not everyone has a natural style to figure out the puzzle part, but once they do, it is a great test review. I know your students are benefiting from using these puzzles, Diedra!

You can assess students knowledge and skills in a variety of ways which allows to celebrate students who show they knowledge in different ways. This is motivating and confidence building.

Crosswords got a mix review.
Mystery term students liked at first but after a while lost interest.
Matching they liked but as teams.

Krista, the key is variety, adding new and taking away old as the group works through them. Keep your eyes open for activities that will allow you to mix and match them.

I have also used crossword and word search puzzles with one of my classes. This was a homework assignment. I was amazed by how involved and competitive the students became. The assignment was for students,working in groups of three to create either a crossword or a word search puzzle with chapter terms. The class completed each groups puzzles. A couple of the word searches took time to complete. The students enjoyed this activity and it also served to reinforce terms to be learned.

Sign In to comment