Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lisa, it makes the in class quiz look non threatening, therefore it lowers learner anxiety.

Michele Deck

I really like the spelling bee for the medical terminology class , also the fill in the blanks in the board making two or more teams keeps the students engaged and active during class.

The crossword puzzle is a great tool to use to fill in time in between skills, or for extra credit . it's also great as a critical thinking skill, especially good for medical terminology. Thank you

Bridgette, you are welcome. It is nice that it can be a great teaching tools for use in multiple situations as you described.

Michele Deck

I think the CD from the text book and simply googling activities on the internet creates endless learning activities. I have students line up at the computer and they all get a chance to participate. They really look forward to it.

A favorite review activity with my students is Jeopardy. I found an online flash Jeopardy game maker or it can be done on Power Point. The advantage of Power Point is I can add pictures to go along with the word or definition as a visual reminder for the students. They love it and using this tool has improved my terminology scores tremendously.
I love the weekly mystery term idea and I plan on doing that with my new students who start in May.

Robin, jeopardy is always a favorite activity. Keep up your good work, you are seeing positive results.

Michele Deck

You are able to give learners different options that might be more comfortable for them to do alone or is a small group. They are going to learn and retain more without even realizing it!!!

I have used crosswords as take home assignments for the students, I think the challenge of solving a puzzle is a great learning tool

Richele, it helps to develop critical thinking skills.

Michele Deck

I used this as a productive time filler usually after Quizzes or after short chapters.

I like the crossword puzzles. I thing it requires more thinking. I think it makes for a good homework assignment.

Donna, it is a good homeowrk assigment and a review of content after tests.

Michele Deck

depending on the course the activity selected must aim at retention of objectives taught in a fun way. stress key points during activity and do repeat them several times during activity so that it becomes the subject of said activity. in this way students recall information readily but also understand the concept of it.

Ondrea, this cycle of educational strategies you are describing here is a smart approach to building learning retention rates.

Michele Deck

The activity I use is not listed. I teach a unit in embryology and I have the students draw things such as a morula, and a blastula. I have them label the branchial arches and the primitive palate. I may try making a crossword puzzle to engage the more analytical learners.

Kathryn, thank you for sharing the teaching approach you use for teaching embryology. Someone else who teaches this can benefit from it.

Michele Deck

To be honest i have never used cross word puzles before but I think this would be a good homework type of assignement to reinforce what the student learned that day

In nursing, critical thinking is extremely important. I am going to try the crossword puzzles and see if my students enjoy them.

Carolyn, thank you for committing to try this new strategy for you. Good luck in all you do!

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment