Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am anxious to implement some of these games in my class. I love the idea of bingo and also the word searches and mystery weekly terms. I think it would be a fun idea to play hangman with medical terminology by giving a definition and a clue, dividing the class into teams. We would also see who the creative students are with their drawings of the human body in stick form. Also, I believe that proper spelling and pronunciation is necessary in the "job world", and could be utilized in an activity combining roots and prefixes of medcal words maybe in some sort of relay game.

Thanks for sharing the adaptations you will make. I appreciate your thoughts, Debbie.

My students do not enjoy doing crossword puzzles as much group activities/games. I have not tried word searches yet.

The more technical junking students seem to like crosswords and word searches. The social students tend to like activities that involve talking more about personal topics. Either can be tied to content.

I have not tried any of these yet, but am interested in them.

Please commit to trying one within the next 2 weeks. Pick one that fits your personality and style.

It vary's. Some students may think it's too much and some may think it's not enough. Individual students have individula learning styles. You must be able to reach all of them for their sucess in your class

I would say you will be able to find out several things by utilizing various activities.
1. How well your students participate in group
activities/games.
2. How well they retain the material presented
3. How they respond to different games. presented to them.

You can also get their buy in and ownership of the content because they are internalizing it for a reason, even if it is competition. Thanks, Bradley!

I haven't tried this yet so I don't know how it will work out, but an idea I got from reading some of these suggested activity's. I thought of a memory game in humans.. meaning 10 students would stand backwards in front of class with numbers on their backs 1-10. On there fronts would be a term (5) then definitions to match (5). The remaining students would say number 1 turn around and number 5 turn around if it was a match they would stay facing forward. If not they would turn around; and another student would do the same till all students were facing the front of the class. You could play twice so all students had a chance to be the cards and the players.

Glad this jogged a part of your creativity to make it better for your class. Enjoy!

I have had good results with group quizzing games for participation points. Groups get into the spirit of competition! I think having students make up their own bingo cards has a lot of merit. I could make that part of the homework grade. And,if I could tie this work into a quiz, the results should be more studying and retention of material - the biggest challenge of all.

Since Bingo is such a well known game, Robert, it takes no additional explanation time. I hope your students enjoy creating and using the cards.

My workbook assignments include crossword puzzles and word find puzzles. I have some students who love doing the puzzles and others who do not. I encourage all the students to try to complete the puzzles but understand that some students will not be interested and will probably get less from the activity than the ones who enjoy them.

Bingo is a great idea. I will have to try this with my students.

This gives the instructor a chance to have fun and give positive reinforcement, other than a written test. With the adult learner there any many challenges to keep them engaged and learn the subject matter.

I have used crosswords for bonus points for homework or a test. I have also used crossword puzzles as an open book test, so I have come across a few tough ones. The students have thought it was a great idea for a different type of test.

I like the ball toss idea to get the students out of their seats. Half-way through the class, I had the students summarize points, and each student had to say something different. For every point that is summarized, I was able to add information. It also gauges student comprehension.

I would utilize prompt and constructive feedback.

Dimitria, it is a great way to gauge student comprehension, and also see what you need to go back and clarify in a safe and light-hearted learning environment.

Sign In to comment