Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The event cards. They have been helpful in post-clinical discussions. Students have even created their own scenarios that they want to present.

Hi,
This may not be all that creative, but I have students play the role of "doctor" when practicing or doing practicals chairside (dental assisting). This serves 2 purposes. The student playing doctor must be spot-on and know the procedure (educational reinforcement) and I can observe the student praticing/taking the practical from all angles as I am looking in at the procedure and not right in the middle of it. Makes it easier to grade that way too.

Gayle, thank you for sharing this approach. It does allow your student to think and understand many aspects of the real job.

Michele Deck

This is a great idea and I have began using it with my clinical students when they come back to class. It is a great teaching tool and provides that valuable teaching moment and to process best practices.

Over the years, my colleagues and I have found Jeopardy to be effective in reinforcing concepts and getting students to think/recall quickly. Plus its fun! everyone gets a token prize at the end of the game.

In my online class I encorporate procedures or problmes that have truly been experienced by experienced techs in the field. Then ask the student how they wjould handle this. It incorporates and encourages critical thinking skills, and the student can comment something similar have happened to them at their clinical site, and how it turned out.

B., I like rewarding everyone for their hard work at the end of jeopardy, because they have all succeeded at learning.

Michele Deck

Lawrence, your approach simulates the real world thought processes that are difficult to teach. Bravo!

Michele Deck

I also love using critical thinking questions in my class. Makes them think and analyze situations.

Tamatha, this is a tough skill to teach, as critical thinking is essential on the job.

Michele Deck

I know that this may seem childish, and I don't remember what book I origionally found it in, but I use play dough in my anatomy classes. After the students formed a cell using the dough, I found that they are able to recreate it at the end of the semester without any problems.

sharon, I don't think hands on ideas are silly. Some can teach critical concepts in a simple and effective way.

Michele Deck

We use a mock Medical Office and run through a student "patient" from check in to check out.

I use repetition to reinforce content. Every patient that comes into the clinic has to have a physical exam done by a student and signed off by an instructor. After the student does their PE, I do mine and compare findings. I there are discrepancies we review them.

Suzanne, this is a great way to teach assessment, especially comparing findings. This allows students to increase their skills in a low anxiety environment, before they are out on the job.

Michele Deck

In our Sonography course we have implamented reinforcement of the anatomy by leting the student create anatomical structures with Play-Doh. Our department also have student draw there scanning protocal daily for reinforcment.

Natalie, it is a wonderful thing that you are offering both visual and kinesthetic reinforcement of learning. Your students have a better chance of success with this approach than lecture alone.

Michele Deck

I really like the "patient bingo" teaching strategy idea! In our school, when the students are in their clinical externship settings, they are required to write a 'daily log' of all their experiences. Some students have complained about the 'tedious' nature of the assignment and do not see the value in it. Perhaps, if we added 'patient bingo boards', they could take them to their clinical sites and fill in the respective boxes with the skills performed. The back of the board could be used for writing any observations, thoughts about the day, or even "staff surprises". The 'daily log' could still be a part of the externship experience, but I think adding the 'patient bingo' would "spice it up a bit" for the students. The 'bingo' boards could also serve as a cumulative graphic representation of the number and types of skills they have performed during their externship experience.

Heather, thank you for sharing your adaptation of an idea that can make your dialy log more interesting and engaging for your students.

Michele Deck

I really like the idea of event cards --- I think this can be used in multiple different ways not only the on the job but sometimes when supplies are short and a student is waiting on a scope or a bin to stain --- this will be a good use of their time -- and to gain perspective.

Sign In to comment