Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Holly, seeing what is realistic versus just pictures in a book teaches s many things. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Michele Deck

When dealing with skills, especially when there is patient teaching involved, I like to bring up one student to be the patient, and another to be the nurse and demonstrate how they would carry out the skill and instruction.

Repetition is the key. We talk about it in lecture and then they practice it live patients. Once they become comfortable with the skill, they are expected to do that skill on all patients in the client like doing a PE or getting vitals. I really liked the idea of the spaghetti to demonstrate the anatomy of muscles. I have struggled trying to get students to understand how the connective tissue wraps around the muscle fibers and holds everything together. I could even use different color saran wrap to demonstrate the differet types of connective tissue involved.

Suzanne, adding the colored saran wrap is a nice touch to make this teaching idea even better. Thanks for sharing it.

Michele Deck

I will throw random facts into lecture that will tie in later and give little treats/ prizes for the right answers

I utilize online videos of clinical skills and procedures relevant to the topic discussed. Also use case studies at end of chapter, have students answer questions in groups and present answers to class. Both of these strategies help students change their focus.

Rosalie, thank you for recognizing the importance of changing focus and planning activities that will accomplish that.

Michele Deck

This is a good idea and could easily be used in any course. I will definitely be using this.I might add in some brain food snacks depending on what time of the day the class is scheduled.

This is a great way to engage the students in a fun, learning environment.

My students tend to have a great deal of difficulty with basic radiology terminologies when we practice interpreting xrays in lab. One strategy I have used is to challenge them with coming up with humorous analogies and acronyms to reinforce learning.

A graduate from four years ago stopped by told me that he still remembers "radiopaque, must be white cake" when holding a film...

I am a clinical instructor only, but the ideas helped me to think outside the box in regards to my teaching.

While teaching CPR for students, I play the song staying alive while teaching specific portions. This way the students are staying focused and on task.

In addition to some of the strategies listed here, sometimes when I don't have enough time to take a 'real' break, I will have them stand in a long line in front to back and then have them massage each other's shoulders for a few minutes. The they turn around and do it again so the last person gets a message. I think I got this from you at one of your seminars!

Sometimes I have students get up and stretch during class, which would be a lovely time to do the macarena exercise-- particularly if it were adapted to show different insulin injection sites (more relevant to what I teach).

Charlotte, I love this idea! Which sites would you have then point to?

Michele Deck

I also only teach clinical and I will definitely be using the "Staff Surprises", "the weakest Think" and " Event Cards". I am also thinking of the "Jeopardy" game for post conference since it is so popular here. The "Macarena" dance concept has certainly given me some ideas. For one it is a great way to start post conference!

Reassessing concepts learned from various types of learners is an important aspect for me to consider. So, before I proceed to the new concept, I utilize some tools that reassess what students have retained and moved from there. In reasessing their understanding of concepts, I ask students to bring in anything ( relevant to the type of course taught) that represents certain structures when it comes to anatomy and bring in pictures of machines or any equipment that represents what an organ does/organ function is and let them explain why. Integrating technology in the learning process such as the use of mobile applications for discussion to break the monotony of classroom discussion approach is also helpful particularly the generation Y students.

I give students an opportunity to recap, privately & in writing, what they've learned in class that day. After that, everyone is given an opportunity to share with the class. This leads into a focus / follow-up discussion.

Sophia, one on one communication is a strategy that works and shows personal interest.

Michele Deck

I am certainly looking forward to using spaghetti Muscles, and the Hygien Hy-Jinx. This should stimulate some great classroom participation.

Sign In to comment