Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many teachers like the Jeopardy format as you can see by the number of posts on it.

that's a great idea for a short break in content...I might go ahead and use that!

I'm sure you will have success if you use this idea.

Stories, and practical scenerios
are great learning exercises. It also provides reference points for learners to reflect on

Summarizing what was taught in the class. Having each student give one item that they learned today. Debriefing the class, asking the students for a self evaluation of the materials that they were taught. I try to mix my strategies for bringing the students to refocus. Trying to get some answers to NCLEX related to what has been taught is another change of strategy but allows the use of a different style of learning.

Definitely breaks at intervals. If I am able (depending on the content of the hands-on) I will put the radio on in the background.

Having a common reference point is the starting point for learning> I agree with you.

I frequently teach a CET prep course and often the students are in "overload". Sometimes it's nice to just go outside and have a quick walk around the building. I will also frequently go around the room asking each student to tell me one thing they know today that they didn't know yesterday. Sometimes as a written assignment, I'll request that they write 5 things they learned this week, 5 things that they're still unclear about and what their plan is to rectify that.

Your ideas refocus learners and evaluate what they learned as well. Thanks for sharing!

I have recentely started using the minute papers for them review things taught and then discuss as a class. Found it to be a great way for students to review material amongst each other.

I usually teach in 3 hour blocks of time, so I will use guided lectures, working with a partner to reinforce a concept, and games. If I see I need to spice things up I will give out case studies and go around the room asking for answers from different groups.

I agree, case studies are great strategies for learning.

Thanks for sharing your mite paper idea.

What are strategies to refocus learners. Hands on and visuals are best methods to refocus learners. The ideas presented are great but unfortunate not the best for some instructors. The method or role play where the instuctor hands out 3/5 cards to 5 students with a scenario works real well in the class. This can also be used for prioritization and is a great learners tool.

I like the macarena song, it is also good for the injection sites.

I really like the idea of having the student write down 5 things they are unclear about and what their plan is to rectify that. This way the student is taking responsibility for their own learning, but at the same time as an instructor it will let me know where they are having difficulty. If a lot of students are having trouble in the same area, I know that this is an area I need to get more creative about teaching!

Andrea, I'm glad this course is helping you to reflect on what you can add to your teaching to make it even better than it is right now. Great teachers continually strive to make their classes more successful.

Make students think that the next exercise is just to get students re-energized and then debrief by explaining how it was really an exercise that reinforced an important concept. Then do it again to show not just explain.

I try to stress the importance of their responsibility and to make them understand that another life is in their hands. I also make them visualize and ask them, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT DONE TO YOU IF YOU WERE THE PATIENT? This question makes them realize what needs to be done and that they need to pay attention.

I summerize the information taught. Sometimes and more often I have the students summerize what they have learned during the lesson and give me some top key points.

Sign In to comment