Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stephanie, you will be amazed at how this seemingly simple idea can get students to remember the pulse points.

Michele Deck

I might try a version of this he next time I teach tooth numbers and types. Or I might try this is connected to that tooth etc.

I love the idea of using the macarena song for pulse points!!! I am currently covering this material with my classes and will definitely try this one! Also, anything that ties in the material with everyday items, is a helpful teaching tool.

I really like the idea of using the pulse point macarena...It is a great way to help remember sites and structures and in a long class it is energizing for students.

Dena, I agree that any involving activity is one that makes the content memorable to learners, even ideas that are unconventional like this.

Michele Deck

Marybeth, I agree that this strategy is an energizer.

Michele Deck

I have each of my students present a case study to the class of a pathology specific to what we are studying. They use ultrasound images, signs symptoms, labs, differential diagnoses. This is very successful at promoting soft skills, knowledge base, critical thinking.

I use some of the strategies submitted in the forum but I've picked up so many new ideas from this discussion that I will have to try! What an incredible resource!

Dawn, this is a multilevel learning activity and I hope more instructors incorporate this idea into their classes.

Michele Deck

As I go around observing and assisting in lab classes, if I see common mistakes occuring, I hold up my hands in a "time out" signal and say "teaching moment" and demonstrate the correct technique again on a "patient". This reinforces the correct technique and students get another chance to see a demonstration.

Jennifer, your observations of the students become the "teachable moment.' This is a great practice, thank you for sharing it.

Michele Deck

The various sticks (by size) is an excellent teaching tool for my radiology students when going over the various bones of the body. After all, visualizing the bones on x-ray is essential, and knowing them well is essential to having a good diagnostic procedure for the dr. Altho we have plastic bones in the Lab, this is another innovative way to make it more interesting.

I agree tht a good review is often necessary , esp. in a particularly difficult or involved chapter. It helps to ask open-ended questions and wait them out for answers. Americans abhor silence and will feel compelled to fill it in with an answer! Then re-enforce it with praise or by adding on to it.

we too have used Jeopardy in the classroom. We usually divide the class into two factions and supply them with a bell. Then the fun starts, esp. if the rewards for winning a round can be cookies, etc. Oftentimes, bragging rights is all that is needed for a reward.

Lawrence, I'm so glad you are seeking a variety of methods to get youe learners to fully comprehend the bones.

Michele Deck

Lawrence, I never knew the power of bragging rights until I started teaching! It is a motivating experience to many.

Michele Deck

I love the hands on approach! Also the different ways to learn and remember the different points!! Amazing! Can't wait to use it!!

Tamatha, I wish you all the best in the new year with your new ideas.

Michele Deck

Just a thought but I have had my students make up the games on their own. Well actually as teams. then with each team having their own questions and board, I switch them out and have them play on another teams board.

It bacomes a real contest to see who has the best board, and the best questions. It really challenges them to dig out the best material from the book and the lectures.

I am a big believer in the hands on approach as well, it seems to cement the information in for the student. One good one is going to a local butcher and getting a pig heart when you are doing the circulatory system. It is not the same but seen the actual blood vessels either freeks them out or gets them interested. Another is using hotdogs to practice sutures or staples.

Sign In to comment