Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I especially liked the Hygiene Hy-jinx! the use of the full length mirror is a fabulous idea. so many of todays students have been raised in a far more relaxed and casual atmosphere than I was. they need to understand that first impressions are important and that people do stereotype others based on appearance:(

ANDREA, I'm glad this creative yet inexpensive idea will have impact on your learners and help to teach about appearance and perception in a new way.

Michele Deck

Spaghetti muscles is a great way to help massage students visualize muscle fibers. An activity I will add to a lesson plan.

I like the: watch one, do one then teach one method. The learner is afforded the opportunity to watch a task (demonstartion), then the learner is required to perform the task and to keep them engaged the learner is further required to teach/instruct someone else in performing the task. This require the learner to examine the task from different perspectives and reenforce learning.

Winston, this truely is a way to instruct, reinforce and evaluate all wrapped up together into one description. Thanks for sharing!

Michele Deck

I try to break up the information into TEACH - SHOW - DO segments. I start with a brief presentation or lecture that is immediately followed by showing the students the process that I just presented. Then, I allow the students to try out the process on their own or in teams.

Dawn, you have described a successful tried and true process for teaching and learning. The more the formula is followed, the more engaged the learners will be.

Michele Deck

I like pizza for blood gases,I like the use of food to reinforce a concept if they did not grasp the concept through hearing and seeing they will definitely remember through eating.

I keep a deck of index cards with steps to particular skills on them. Randomly, I will stop lecture, pick a student and have them go put the cards in order of how the particular skill is to be done. Sometimes I will remove on or more of the steps and tell the student ahead of time that I have done so and that they are to put them in order and tell me what has been removed.

Bethanne, this is a marvelous way to review as well as inviting the learner to think critically about the process.

Michele Deck

I think using music is a great way to remember so many things!

Since we learn best in small amounts of content, I will usually teach '123' and have them repeat, then teach '456' and have them repeat '123456' then move on to '789' etc. Also using gestures has always helped.

I like to take review breaks or use exercises to get students re-engaged. I will have all the students stand and coach an exercise for the quadriceps or the pectorals.

The ABG Go FISH is the strategy i will utilize to refocuse learners by using the yellow card and blue card.

I started each of my classes with readings from "The Art of Being a Healing Presence," by James E. Miller. Myself or the students would read a chapter or two. One evening we had a violent situation outside the classroom. I shut off the lights in the room, stood outside the door to assess the situation. Once it was over, we read chapters from this book. It focused the class and calmed them....and me!

Mary Ellen, this was such a wise thing for you to do and to model for your students. Keep up the great work you are doing.

Michele Deck

Hi
I believe a "picture is worth a 1000 words"!
Most students remember very well when they have pictures to take home as reference material. They study the pictures over and over and those visuals remain in their minds.
The same holds true for illustrating a concept which is difficult to explain such as appearance.
Students like to use their "critical eyes" and can see each other's points of deficiency. thanks
Susan

SUSAN, it is amazing that as humans we focus on what is wrong with others-an important thing for all of us to be aware of.

Michele Deck

I demonstrate individually to each student and then ask them to help the others that are struggling. This way they keep their attention focused on the task at hand.

Sara, thye are also developing the ability to relate to others, which is an important job skill as well.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment