Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Linda, I love this idea and I'm sure your students do, too. Sometimes using an activity unrelated to content can re-energize a group. Thanks for sharing your successes.

Michele Deck

Do you just use regular powerpoint and ask questions or is there a jeopardy powerpoint template somewhere?

Leslie, if you go to the internet and search for "K-12 jeopardy", there are free templates that teachers have created and will share with you free of charge.

Michele Deck

Thank you so much! I'm excited to implement these great ideas. -Leslie

Leslie, you are very welcome. I wish you much success with them!

Michele Deck

I try to always have stations set up so the students can rotate through and not get bored when we are having an hour or two of hands on labs. For example : Vitals, strep testing, urinalysis and setting up an exam room.

One strategy I love to use is using different voices with different terms. So for example when I want students to remember nucleus I might use a yoda voice, and when I want students to remember the term "leukocyte" I might use an accent of an old lady. Students find it funny and they love remembering the funny moments so it can possibly help them to remember these terms better.

AVINASH , Ithank you for sharing your creative voice strategy. That makes it memorable for sure!

Michele Deck

I like the jeopardy method because a lot of my students are very competitive and it brings their competitive nature out in this sort of exercise.

rominder, this way wholesome competition can occur and motivate all to participate.

Michele Deck

That is a great idea. I'm sure going to do that for my next rotation. Thanks for the idea.
I just sang it out to the sites and works perfect, just like it does to the pulse points.
thanks again.

I utilize many clinical photographs of different stages of skills. We take breaks to utilize the document camera to demonstrate the skills and provide students with an opportunity to practice. We the go back to the presentation based on where the students are in their understanding.

Sherry, I like the way you use the document camera to gather photos and to evaluate students' skill achievement. What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Michele Deck

Michelle,
I really liked the ideas in the course for teaching in the clinical environment. It seems they mostly applied to nursing. Do you have any specifics for dental hygiene and assisting ? I like the kinesthetic type of learning and these are hands on skills so any tools to cement the skill would be great to have. Thanks

We will have students draw posters, present plays, we do index cards with critical thinking, pro-con grids, practice with dolls or dummies, "pin the tail on the" "what wrong?" exercises, etc. We try to have as many tools in the toolbox as needed to vary the instructional method and keep the students engaged and learning.

Janelle, thank you for sharing involving activities. As you know they can bring review in a fun way to your learners.

Michele Deck

Tina, I suggest you read some of the posts of your dental colleagues who have taken my nursing examples and adapted to dental content. The more hands on the better the memory of the content!

Michele Deck

We play a game where the students have to put the steps to a procedure they just learned in order.
One person at a time goes to the board to place the next correct step until all the steps are listed.

Robin , I've used this idea also, but have added three false steps they must eliminate, so they can discriminate right from wrong.

Michele Deck

I am going to try the Macarena song for the pulse points and pressure area sites.

Sign In to comment