Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also like to use the Bone connected song for teaching the name of the bones in anatomy.

Absolutely. Think of all those commercial tunes that people walk around with them stuck in there head. More and more companies put popular songs to their commercials for a reason! Think of the power of music in learning!

Having a topical outline or agenda readily available for the learner when teach a long time span is a good method. It keeps the student on track, allows them to follow through the objectives. It also gives some type of specific structure and something tangible that they can follow. In addition it may allow them to possibly move forward to the next item or identify an area they need to review.

Beatrice, thank you for pointing out the agenda can also be an assessment and/or an evaluation tool.

Michele Deck

music and games like jeopardy are extremely successful and it also kind of pushes the shy ones to work and participate in a group setting as well which will ultimately help in the clinical setting at their externship

Amanda, I'm glad you see that all types of people can benefit from these learning activities.

Michele Deck

I use a power point jeopardy game or a hangman game.
it makes the learning objectives fun and sparks a competitive motivation amongst the class.

Valerie, please continue using this successful idea!

Michele Deck

I try to alternate lecture with some sort of activity. Bingo can be used as a fun way to review. I have also used playdough to have the students create the organs within the digestive system as I teach and talk about each individual organ. It keeps them focused and provides kinisthetic/visual learning.

Lisa, the play dough also shows their comprehensive knowledge. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Michele Deck

Generally I will play a game that similar to who wants to be a millionaire but in one of my categories the students have to physically demonstrate the directional term, take the pulse at the correct pulse point, demonstrate the heimlich maneuver etc. Student tend to enjoy this strategy of teaching.

Salina, I love the "doing" part of this game that you have described. Thank you for sharing it.

Michele Deck

I have in the past made a cake and used candy to create the organelles in the cell. Then you have a party.

I will try to use music

I try to not spend more than 35-45 minutes only using 1 technique.

I teach clinical, didactic, and skills lab, so I do spend a fair amount of time teaching hands-on skills. Because learning nursing skills is a whole new world, it's easy for students to get overwhelmed.

One of the things I've found to refocus learners is repetition, repetition, repetition. Then reinforce what you've repeated.

For example, I always add lab values to each teaching session, including simulation scenarios, writing care plans, and in pre and post-conference at clinical.

It seems that when the students get the same information in different formats and situations, they are able to really get the information into their brains.

Great idea! I've been planning my med adm lesson this evening and I think I'll incorporate the Macarena!

Ruth, since the content is very dry, it is a nice way to spice it up!

Michele Deck

Hudson, you are not only building memory with your repetition, but you are developing their critical thinking skills using it in different ways. Keep up the good work!

Michele Deck

I think that music is also a great way to remember especially anatomy-my students love it

Sign In to comment