Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Supervisoer's style can be an educator or a manager, support system.

3 roles are: The educative role (teaching), The supportive role (examining and managing the effects of training upon the intern), and the managerial role (ensuring that work practices are appropriate and meet standards).

I had a light-bulb moment while listening to this section.  I have mentored and precepted a number of MSN students to the world of academia.  The last list of "things a supervisor needs to do" was an inspiration.  I did most of them for those students.  The only one I didn't do was the "1 hr of personal mentoring/week" however I think our joint tasks and the time I spent explaining them might count!  Certainly I was proud that MOST of them were eager to join my university as faculty.  And to this day we have a wonderful professional relationship.  

This list could be used when we mentor new staff to our departments, as well!  

There needs to be an open line of communication between the coordinator and site supervisor, in order to provide the intern with the most engaging experience possible.  As mentioned, site supervisors need to alert intern coordinators if something is not going well as it needs to be addressed immediately. This is the time in which the intern can make some small mistakes and learn from them, within reason, but it absolutely needs to be addressed. Communication needs to always be modeled.

supervision of students, especially nursing students, is important to ensure they are learning to the best of their abilities 

The internship program must include objectives and goals to be met. supervision and fedback is paramount.

So valuable.  this is very true.  As clinical instructor, I do all of these without knowing it.  

The on-site and campus supervisors have specific and important roles that contribute to the success of the intern.

These two roles collaborate and openly communicate.

The on-site supervisor is similar to the clinical faculty at the hospitals.

Feedback from the supervisor or the on-site coordinator to the Intern is very crucial. Timelines the and goals need to be met to accomplish 

what has been set by the supervisor.

Having supervision is key, but its difficult due to staffing. Teachers should have time to visit job sites and see how each of their students are working within the field. Time and classroom coverage is a barrier to this. especially if there are large class sizes. 

I learned that supervision is very important during an internship

Communication and support between all involved parties is crucial for student success.

Supervision and communication is key. Teachers or administraters need to have time to visit students at their internship sites to see what is and is not working well. 

The role of the supervisor is to establish a platform for the intern to be viewed from a place of suppervision, education, and correction. This will give an intern a view of the level of competence needed to successfully carry out their daily duties being able to navigate the rights and wrongs of the position to get the best outcome for the company and the intern. 

"
The supervision of an intern is potentially complicated, as the intern must be supervised from both the academic and employment perspectives. The on-site supervisor and on-campus internship coordinator must work together to ensure that all of the objectives of the internship are met."

Educating, supporting, and managing are important roles of the onsite supervisor

Collaboration is key between all parties to optimize the student's internship experience

Student supervision is key in order to make sure all the arrangements have been made, purposes and operation of the entity that they working with and to make frequent visits to ensure all is going well.  To make sure the internship program is successful, the facility coordinator and on-campus supervisor must work together.

interships will be most successful when they are planned, supervised and coordinated

Sign In to comment