ChatGPT Background | Origin: ED148
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
ChatGPT and Its Educational Uses --> ChatGPT Background
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
I believe that ChatGPT can be a valuable tool in educational settings, as it facilitates research by providing quick access to information and helping students organize their ideas. However, it also carries potential risks. Beyond concerns about academic dishonesty and overreliance on automated answers, the broader integration of AI into critical systems, such as military and national security infrastructure, raises serious questions about control, accountability, and the consequences of delegating high-stakes decisions to machines.
I learned that AI is a useful tool and is still under research.
I think that chatgp can be helpful in the education setting because it makes it easier to research but it could also potencially dameging it takes over the nuclear code and other warfare things
ChatGPT is a great tool for students, however many of them use it as a default option, not a guide to help them produce original work. If I was a student, I might use ChatGPT to help me get started on an assignment or help me develop a plan for how to write it. However, what I see as an instructor is not that. Students who write poorly often copy and paste directly from AI-generated services. It's blatantly obvious. This circumvents critical thinking. Students don't reflect honestly on assignments. Their writing skills don't improve. I'm not here to speak only negatively about AI. The technology is amazing and I support it's advancement, if done so ethically and carefully. But it's already being used by students to cheat, or simply as a means to an end to get the assignment done.
Learning about the history of AI was very interesting. I plan on using AI in my courses to make the class more engaging and connect with my students by using some of the tools they are using in the class as well.
I've learned that AI has real potential to support healthcare education, from personalizing student learning to streamlining administrative work, but it also comes with risks like over-reliance on technology and reduced critical thinking if used without boundaries. I plan to apply this by using AI thoughtfully in my own teaching, like generating practice scenarios or organizing course materials, while making sure students still build core clinical reasoning skills on their own. One question I have is how other instructors are setting clear boundaries for AI use with their students, especially in programs where academic integrity and hands on competency both matter.
Knowing about chatbots and how they evolved over the years was interesting. I also came to know about different subfields of AI and what they mean. I definitely plan to use ChatGPT and will keep all the ethical principles in mind when using it in my field. Thanks!
AI will continue to become a great learning tool for educatora and students. The more we know how it works. the benefits will become endless in education
AI is most effective when used as a tool to enhance learning rather than replace critical thinking. Moving forward, I plan to use AI responsibly to support lesson planning, improve writing instruction, and encourage students to think critically while maintaining academic integrity.
I really want to look at how I can use AI in my online courses. I understand the drawbacks of AI in education but I also want to discover how AI can be a great benefit to instructors and students.
I appreciate this understandable description of different AI means. There is emphasis on use being free. I do wonder if users come to depend greatly on AI, if down the line a hefty price will be attached as we have seen with viewing apps.
I see AI as a new technology that people will gradually adapt to over time as they learn to trust both themselves and the AI tools they use. I believe AI has the potential to create a huge leap in communication and help people share accurate information more effectively with one another.
AI is also beneficial because of the vast amount of information it can help us access and organize. As humans, we can learn to trust and effectively use the tools we create to make our lives easier, continue learning, and better understand both how we operate and how the technologies we develop function.
There will certainly be drawbacks, but many of them depend on how AI is used and by whom. I believe that time, experience, and understanding are what people need in order to fully recognize and appreciate the assistance that AI can provide.
AI can definitely be used for easy access to a wealth of information. However, we need to be careful it is used for good.
When used properly AI and ChatGPT can benefit both the students and the instructors. I can help us work more efficiently, plan our lessons around our students learning levels. For our students it adapts to their learning styles and provides them with immediate feedback and keeps them engaged with course materials. Students as well as ourselves, are always on our mobile devices and social media so why not use it. The downside to it is overuse, dependance and misinformation.
ChatGPT is used most effective when used as a thought partner and not an answer generator, the quality of the output depends on the quality of the prompts and it can save significant time with brainstorming, lesson planning and creating classroom resources.
Open AI is transparent and accessible to all. This creates an equity in knowledge if the desire is there- it is available. students who don't have support at home can access AI 24/7 to complete their projects and understand concepts.
Education will rely more on technology every day, since it allows optimizing teachers' day-to-day activities, in the time of evaluation and feedback as well as to define new strategies.
Chat GPT can be a wonderful tool if used properly. Students tend to overuse it and not use it properly. Tending to us it to get out of work rather than enhancing the work they are doing. AI will continue to advance and we need to be prepared to be able to use it and understand the potential risks that come with it. I have used ChatGPT in the classroom to help with study guides, questions, etc. I think I will continue to find ways that ChatGPT can be used in the classroom.
Like so many other professional educators, I am curious to learn more about how AI functions and how our students are already using it. I plan on curating a few resources for my college Comp 101 to read and leverage this into discussion, sharing, and writing about how we will incorporate these opportunities in our class content.