Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mental Health Disabilities | Origin: ED201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Mental Health Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned that there are several kinds of mental disorders as stated in the DMS IV. It is important as teachers to focus on the student and not the disorder. There are several things a teacher can do and shouldn't do in order to accommodate the learners. 

In this section, I learned about ODD, I did not know it was an illness, nor did I know there was such a thing as OCD focused on personality.  With this new information, I plan on reading more on it to familiarize myself with it.  This way I can be more aware in the classroom and have a way to handle situations if they arise.

Samantha

In this section, one thing that I have to remember that it is important to follow through with consequences for wrong behavior and to start the day off with a clean slate.

This section has taught me that each day is a new day with the students and that you should not hold grudges against the student as it is not their intention to be an issue or defiant or disruptive. It is important to treat them with respect by explaining things to them clearly, redirecting them when needed, and listening to their full thoughts before responding.

I WAS ENLIGHTENED TO THE MANY CLASSIFICATIONS OF STUDENTS AND THE VARIOUS THINGS THAT WE NEED TO DO DO TO KEEP THINGS POSITIVE AND NOT FALL INTO THE NEGATIVE. I SEE THE IMPORTANCE OF STRUCTURE AND CLARITY IN THE CLASSROOM. WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO LISTEN WHEN A STUDENT WANTS TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES AND NOT JUST BE DOMINANT IN EVERY CONVERSATION BECAUSE AT TIMES THAT COULD BE A PART OF THE PROBLEM, INSTEAD OF THE SOLUTION. WE NEED TO REMEMBER THAT EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY FOR BOTH THE STUDENT, AS WELL AS, THE TEACHER.

Mental disorders are sensitive, and we must be especially cognizant of all the rules, laws, and regulations regarding mental disorders, to keep the student and staff safe. 

Psychological disabilities will present in various ways.  People may/may not need accommodations.  Either way, best practice is to treat student with respect, be patient, don't shout or lose your temper with student.   

I learned a new term of "oppositional defiant disoder" as well as there being a different between OCD & obsessive compulsive personality disorder.  I appreciated the detailed examples of how to accommodate students with mental health disabilities.

This course was enlightening. There are more disorders listed now that can effect ones learning outcome and/or entire life.

There are a few mental disorders that are more common to be found in students we have in our classrooms. Having a bssic understanding is helpful to be aware, but I believe you will get the best knowledge from the individuals themselves as every case is different.

I never knew of the existence of ODD until today.  I have probably known a couple of people with this disorder that I probably dismissed as just being "difficult" or a "jerk". Instead of making an instant judgement, now I definitely will observe that person a little more closely to find the true root problem. 

I like that there are great insights in the many disorders that we can be challenged with. I don't like the fact that it seems like such an increase in disorders but that is the complicated world that we live in.  Ond day at a time starting with a new slate ach day.

I have witnessed students with ODD in the classroom. Knowing how to effectively deal with this disorder will help the student and instructor.

To educate yourself on different mental ddisorders will help you accomodate students.  Most of all be patient.

I have learned that there are several kinds of mental disorders  that have accommodations set in place for all disabilities .

I have learned about several kinds of mental diorders .  The most impportant thing I learned was how to accomidate these disabilities in class. Perhaps making learning easier for everyone involved in the entire class. 

Again, as with other disabilities, there can be challenges. Knowing what, when an how to approach these challenges is very important. You wouldn't deal with someone with psychological disabilities the same way as someone with a physical disability.

Sometimes it is difficult for mental disabilities to be diagnosed.

I am learning that setting clear expectations in the classroom is so important for all students for so many different reasons. Also starting each day with a clean slate and holding no grudges is important for teachers and students.

Sign In to comment