Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really never knew exactly what and how obsessive compulsive disorder really works. I better understand ways to redirect students that suffer from this disorder.

I learned that there are a number of mental disorders that can affect students. We've all had children with these types of behaviors in our classroom. I learned a number of effective tactics and approaches that I can take and use moving forward. I also learned certain strategies that I should not used that I have implemented in the past that can have the opposite affect than what I was intending them to. 

Students with mental health disabilities may be challenging in some cases, but bringing out their best is just as rewarding.

Comment on Michael Flores's post: I agree.  I wouldn't have known what to call them but so many of the attitudes of the students that I have dealt with make sense. 

Its important to recognize when a student has a mental disorder and is not just being difficult. Patience with these students will enable us to come up with a plan to cope.

Teachers must be consistent and not undermine students who struggle with these issues.

Mental health disorders can be an impediment in the classroom, but a supportive instructor and how the classroom is set up can help tremendously.

I have learned about the varying mental health disorders in the educational community and how educators can help the student by individualizing their success to meet their needs in the classroom. These are often diagnosed later as they are difficult to catch.

Similar to other types of disabilities, having a psychological disability doesn't mean that there will always be an impact on the student's learning needs.   Setting clear expectations, developing systems for the students, avoiding triggers, and staying calm and supportive may help support a student with successful learning in the classroom.

This was a very informative lecture which discussed best practices when dealing with individuals with mental health disorders. Effective listening was a major take away for me , as well as a new fresh start every time they come to class.

Comment Comment

There are many psychological disorders under the DMS-IV umbrella that often correlate with one another.

I learned that bipolar disorder causes unusual shifts in a person’s mood, energy and ability to function. I learned that a person who has OCD experiences recurrent thoughts, impulses, or images that are not simply excessive worries about real life problems.

Students will make mistakes but it is vital to allow them to recovery from mistakes.

Sign In to comment