Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This latest generation of learners has come to repsect someone who is at ease with the subject matter and displays the ability to do it.

And often they think something can't be done until you show then. Once they see it done they accept the challenge and give it a try.

I am one to "try " new things in the classroom, I find it fun and also if it does not go "just right" the student have no issue getting involved to find out how we can make it better, as we do this as a class team we all learn.
"Success is developed through failure"

I agree with this completly. At the end of every term when the students do their evaluations of the instructor and the course the majority of them always comment on how they enjoyed the class discussions based on the stories I share with them about my own professional experiences. It makes them connect and relate to what they are learning.

Cristian,
yes, they definitely like to know the why.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It's fun because there is usually not as much to read.

Experiential learning is not all about reading and watching. Hands on doing and interacting is a higher value. It allows the learner to do and learn.

Brandon,
I agree. This is definitely the heart & value of experiential learning.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Because they can participate in small-group discussions and presentations done on the computer and team projects rather than long lectures about what to do.

They learn by doing. They value experience: they would rather hear about what I've actually done and learned from my own experience than just what I can give them from the text. I often compare all learning to how we learn to play a game. Before you start playing, you want the basics, not all the rules. The more you play, the more questions you'll have. You learn the rules bit by bit as they become applicable. Gen Yers understand that just sitting on the sidelines watching and listening to lectures or reading the rule book will not teach them how to play the game. But if you just play it without any coaching, you won't make as much progress as when you play with a good coach to critique you. You will also need to learn the rules, but learn them as you go, not all at once.

Jodi,
yes, the more we can break up the monotony of the longer lectures, it seems the more these students pay better attention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Jodi,
yes, the more we can break up the monotony of the longer lectures, it seems the more these students pay better attention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I believe that Genereation Y students value experiential learning because they want information to meaningful to them. They think that if there is a reason and meaning behind an assignment, they will be more likely to do it well. They think if it's relenvent, then it must be important.

Kerri ,
Gen Y students are looking for the real life/world application & the more we can help them get this through experiential learning, the more they will be engaged in our classes.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Their attention span is focused on may things as once. It is wise to use all forms of teaching tactics so students will be able to learn in a way their Generation has been raised globally

Who wants to read about a boring experience? I think the Y folks are really trying to be part of the "action" by creating their own personal "action story". They can tweet where they are headed or what they are doing and start a long, interactive online experience with all who read and respond. Being able to channel that fun and energy into positive outcomes it the challenge. As we boomer teachers get more comfortable with the views of the Y's I believe the outcomes will be a win-win for everyone.

I think this is almost learning without recognizing you are learning. Like hiding your veggies in a casserole. If they do not feel like they are in a class being force fed information and tested on the same, it isn't really "school". But if they can learn this way, I'm all for it!

Charla,
it can be a great way to learn if we can pull it off. By the way, love the veggies in the casserole analogy.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

makes the material not seem so cut and dry, helps keep their attention, makes learning easier.

I have found it also helps to tell them stories of problems you faced and mistakes you made so they can relate with you.

One topic that I teach is cardiovascular malformation in the newborn. I have found this pretty dull and uninteresting before. First, I tried to have them, as a team, draw the various defects. This worked well unitl I got bored with it. Now I have the student groups "build" the various defects. I was able to purchase glue guns very cheaply, cardborad, various leftover tubing from the RT, etc. They were so engaged, the actitivity had value and they able to critically think as individuals and groups.

Sign In to comment