Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Y students are multi-taskers and like to discover the answers in their own way. Experiential allows them to take a project see what not only work but what doesn't. They can then determine what works best for them or the team.

Generation Y students like all generations want the instructor to be relevant, this relevance is sustained through knowledge of course content and experiences emulating or depicting the reality of how it applies to the student's life.

Using many examples of real life experienes is very helpful in getting them excited about learning.

Sarah,
this really helps them see the application of the course material & transfer theory to practice.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Their parents were from the generation of working several jobs at once. They had very little exposure to that type of learning from their parents. They crave it because they grew up with the complete opposite of it.

Jason,
this is a good insight into this generation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found that a combination of story examples and textbook lecture works best, where I use the story to reinforce the idea.

One thing to mention is that there are students that prefer to learn the information from the text and do not have much use for too many stories, so I think the trick is to temper the amount of stories with a substantial amount of text work.

I need to get use to Prezi. I am only familiar with powerpoint though I have seen prezi presentations.

I think it is the "action" involved in all the ways the slides more that keeps them interested - I know I personally like it.

Robert,
it is interesting. I will tell you that I've had mixed feedback from my students on Prezi. Some have told me that they really don't like it as well as ppt. Just something to consider.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

It allows them to be fully engaged in the activity, and it's easier to focus on a lesson if you're actively engaged in it, if you're doing it, rather than if you're sitting there being lectured to or reading something with the expectation that you will regurgitate that knowledge later.

I think Gen Y learners value experiential learning, because it puts what they have learned academically into perspective. They don't want to learn just for the sake of learning, they tend to be on the more pratical side, seeking rlevancy in what they learn. They want to know how they can apply what they have learned to real-world experiences. That is why it is important to share your learning experiences with them, rather than what you can regurgitate from a textbook.

I think they like to learn and by experimenting and useful outcomes equals cool results. But they seem to use the instructor as the sounding board in their trials.

Greg,
I've found this too & it's great! They really like to bounce ideas around as they try & experiment & then come to the conclusion.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

They value it more because they can relate to the material, and it can hold their interest.

We all benefit from the "learn by doing" method.

Deep learning needs to have a balance of theory and application. Theory can be presented briefly by an instructor or through a textbook, but then most learners, and especially Gen Y, want to know "so what?" Why is this important? What can we do with it?

Instructor stories about applications, especially about situations gone wrong where knowledge of the theory provided the means to a solution, make those connections. It's even better when the stories come from the insructor's personal or next-door personal experience.

But Gen Y would prefer adding more direct experiential or personal application of the theory. If a learner can make direct and personal application of the theory, the learning goes in deep and stays there.

I've only just become acquainted with Prezi, still at the theory level with no real practice yet. I'd hadn't considered the note-taking aspect. Thanks for the heads up!

They love the background, it can help them imagine the work themselves

it keeps them involved. hands on (tactile) keeps them interested

Angela,
and it can also give them good ways to remember key concepts.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment