Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carrie,
this is exactly true. One thing I like to do is tell them the real story without the ending & have them discuss/brainstorm what they would've done & then tell them the rest of the story. This was they can check their own approach & ideas.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Based on the reading, Gen Y students want to participate in the different aspects of learning and as a result will disconnect if the primary delivery method is the lecture. I think this is based on the notion that everyone may have certain way or ways that they learn the best, may it be hands on, listening etc. Moreover, Gen y may want are ready to get involved or do something with what was lectured.

ron ,
so true & the more we can get them involved the better as they will stay engaged & truly learn more.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Gen Y students have grown up in a fast paced life with fast paced tools. Experiencial learning in the classroom continues this methodology of action and therefore fun as part of the learning process. They are more engaged, focused and retain more information when they experience the lesson information. More parts of their brain are being "lit" up. They are happier and they retain more.

Experiential learning is a reflection of what is going on outside of the classroom. Generation Y has become creators of content, not just receivers. Case in point, Youtube and Twitter.

I use a case study near the end of my class to help my Gen Y learners apply what they have learned throughout the class. Case studies allow the students to analyze, research, brainstorm, and put into practice what they think they know in a safe environment with no harm to the patient. As I guide them through the case study the students get to look at different treatment options and they get to experience (on the board) the results of their choices. Learning from mistakes in this environment can help prevent mistakes in the real world of patient care.

Gen Y have grown up doing. They play video games until they master them. They attack technology like it is a challenge rather than fear they will mess it up. They want to see what they can do rather than what they can memorize. They are confident that they will be able to find answers on the internet, so they don't feel like memorizing is important.

This is one subject I can appreciate as a Gen Xer. Maybe it's just me, but I always have to know the why of something.

It could be that my father was a staunch Boomer and often just declared things were so, and didn't like being questioned.

Paula,
great points & examples & why we need to incorporate experiential learning as much as possible.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Chad,
understanding the why is so crucial to really helping the content come alive & make sense.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

these student like to know what works and what doesn't by experimentation

Experientail Learning is practical and hands-on. With so much flat-screened information available to Generation Y students, the ability to utilize and manipulate practical materials is a welcome change.

They like a fun type of learning, it seems to be a way of learning for them. I think they enjoy hearing the stories and it will keep their attention better.

Julie,
stories are a great way to engage the learners & help them see the applications.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think Generation Y learners value experiential learning because they need to understand it from their world view. They need to try and incorporate the learning into how practical it is today and how they can use it when they leave the classroom.

Because they value the fact that they can share their experience and personal knowledge.

Being able to share your experience is more engaging. Students get to hear your real life story which provides insight into the career they are going into, or a lesson that can be taught that you cannot pick up from reading a book.

Generation Y has access to an unprecedented amount of information, therfore just delivering information to them is not seen as important. They must have the experience to fully understand and be able to synthesise the information.

They're able to become part of the learning process rather than just receiving. Better retention of information and practical application.

Because this works well with their technological advances.

Sign In to comment