Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Shukmei,

yes, experiential learning is really key for these learners.

Dr. Ryan Meers

This method of learning is active, involved and can be diverse. It fits well with technology or dialogue based active learning activities. It can be integrated into many forms.

I believe that Gen Yers rather have an instructor with real life experience in their field is more important due to real facts. Gen Yers look at facts and data in order to make diligent dicsions. Incorporating real life work experience into the educational material helps them relate more to the course and their dicsion in their career path.

They don't respond to titles. They would rather see what you have to offer and how you've learned by doing. They also learn more by doing and not reading about it.

Learning from others' experiences caters to the Y Generation because they are basically having the answers handed to them.

Jaime,
I agree that the more we can demonstrate that real life experience & incorporate this into our lectures, the more they will listen.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The gen Yers have been taught through entertainment from childhood, so they are in most cases less likely to respond to solid research because it is easier to just be entertained with the information.

Joel,
this is definitely true. This generation is an entertainment driven group, for better or worse.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Gen Y students place a higher value on real life experiences. In my opinion, this could be the result of years of experiencing the world through a computer screen rather than true real life experiences in person. They want to hear about real life experiences from some one who has actually been there and done it so they feel more confident facing the world they are about to enter.

I wonder if this has anything to do with how Gen Yers grew up being rewarded for participating and not just for achieving. Perhaps they believe that the "prize" is to just "do" or take part in something and not necessarily to accomplish anything in particular. They just have to try. If they don't succeed, there is no consequence. That's why they don't need to read the manual first... they just try. If it doesn't work, there is nothing wrong with that... they just try again.

Dr. Meers

Why do Generation Y Learner value experiential learning?

In evaluating my current Gen Y students, it's exciting to them and challeninging. They have a voice in a different format.

Great learning experience for the instructors as well.

They want to participate in the different aspects of learning. With experiential learning, they are able to do this.

Because they prefer interaction when learning and not just learning from a book.

Kerry,
yes, experiential learning seems to be especially powerful for this generation.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Experiential learning is "real" which Gen Y students value. They appreciate current information and information that can help them reach their goals as quickly as possible. Books for many of them are too static. Interestingly, when given the choice of an E-Book or a textbook, many of my students prefer a textbook. I wonder if this preference will change in the future with the use of Nook and Ipads.

I think earlier generations viewed education a pathway to their chosen careers, and took more time along the journey. They took in the philosophy aspect of things, and didn't so much mind taking their time. Gen Y'ers seem resigned to the fact that they NEED an education to do almost anything, so they want to get in, get what they need, and get out. They seem to be in much more of a hurry to "get it over with". The speed of technology and information sharing seems to have fostered a need for immediate gratificaiton.

Because they like figuring things out on there own, thru trial and error.

It is a good way of "tasting" new information.
Many students are very adept with new technical information.

John,
I would agree & one way we can help them is trying to slow them down & teaching them how to learn.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Gen Y students prefer hands-on learning because they grew up with entertainment based education. They like to play and learn. Learning is play. Thus, when they enter a classroom they are not expecting to listen and absorb, but to play and be entertained.

Tonight’s literature class is a good example: Haiku.

The outcome that I’m looking for in the first days of poetry is for students to look for and question poetical form. Haiku is a great place to start. We begin by reading all of Haiku in the textbook aloud. Then, in small groups they need to come up with generalizations on how the Haiku were written. (note: most will just look at the description and end their discussion – instant access to knowledge, but without analysis.) Next, I ask the students to find at least two Haiku that break rules, describe how the rules are broken, and present ideas about why the author chose to break the rules.

Finally, we play a game. I hand out three pieces of paper to each student. I then have them write on paper 1) a five syllable line 2) a seven syllable line on paper 2 and 3) a five syllable line on paper 3. We then mix all 1’s with 1’s, 2’s with 2’s, and 3’s with 3’s. We then read them aloud to see if random lines can be put together to create formal Haiku.

It’s entertainment. It’s learning. It’s critical thinking.

Sign In to comment