Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yolanda,
yes, and it can really help the diversity of learners in your classes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Experiential learning is less boring than listening to a lecture. Also, doing a task may make additional neural connections in the brain than just observing. I do not consider myself primarily a tactile learner, but hands-on often help.

In order to maintain their attention levels it is important to integrate experiential learning opportunities within the classroom for the best results in retaining their level or impute within lecture and discussions.

They are independent thinkers that prefer to seek out their own learning opportunities.

They have already seen the video and answered the quick quiz, now they want to apply their knowledge. They like a hands on, inclass project to see "where they are at".

In response, I think Gen Y learners value experiential learning because its a mystery and fun to find out the outcome, they are not afraid to try, they don't need to read the manual of a device to figure out how to play the device, they learn and have fun as they go along.

In response, I agree with you, the students are more alert and ready for discussion when the instructor is sharing real life experience stories to the subject matter in the course.

Generation Y learners value experiential learning as it plays on several key characteristics of their generation. Learning by doing is something that they have grown up with and has been enhanced through the use of video games which teach students that it is “okay to fail” as long as you learn for your mistakes and then fix it during the next try. Another reason is that students really enjoy the connectivity characteristic of their generation and experiential learning can be used for this through technology, group work, etc.

Sign In to comment